How Do Buoyant Forces Affect Submerged Objects?

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving three problems related to the displacement and buoyant force of a 100 gram chunk of metal with a density of 4 grams per cubic centimeter. The first problem involves finding the mass of water displaced by the metal (25 kg), the second problem deals with calculating the buoyant force on the metal (250 Newtons), and the third problem involves determining the reading on a spring scale when the metal is submerged in water (unknown). The equations used to solve these problems are density (d=m/v), buoyant force (W=W1-W2), and weight of fluid displaced (W=V*d*g).
dragon162

Homework Statement

note: It may make things easier to assume that g=10 m/s^2
Suppose that I have a 100 gram chunk of metal with a density of 4 grams per cubic centimeter.
1)What is the mass of water displaced by this chunk of metal?(give your answer in kg)
2)what is the buoyant force on the metal?
3)If I hang this 100 gram chunk of metal from a spring scale and lower the metal into the water what will the scale read?(give your answer in Newtons)

Homework Equations

d=m/v
S=W/(W-W_0)
S=W/(W_1-W_2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For number one I am guessing its just a simple d=m/v problem. So given the information V=0.1kg/.004 kg/cm^3= 25. But i am not sure what to do with this after.

For number two I know that the difference of the weight of the object in the air and the weight of the object when its fully submerged in water is the buoyant force exerted on the body by the water. So to get the W=mg=.1kg*10m/s^2 but i am not sure how to get W_1= the weight of the object in the water.

for part three I am just not sure what I am supposed to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so i figured out for part two that the volume of the object is the same as the volume of the displaced water. so using the v olume i calculated i used m=dv=25(1)=25 to get the mass of the water. This correct?

as for part two, i found out that the buoyant force= to the weight of fluid displaced and to find the weight of fluid displaced its just volume of object* density of the fluid*gravity
so 25*1*10=250. Is this correct as well?

still trying to figure out part three so any help would be appreciated.

bump, some help please

Related to How Do Buoyant Forces Affect Submerged Objects?

1. How did Archimedes discover the concept of buoyancy?

Archimedes discovered the concept of buoyancy while taking a bath. He noticed that the water level rose as he got into the tub, and this led him to realize that the volume of water displaced by an object is equal to the volume of the object itself.

2. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is used to explain why objects float or sink in a fluid.

3. What is the formula for calculating buoyant force?

The formula for calculating buoyant force is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can buoyant force act in any direction?

Yes, buoyant force can act in any direction, depending on the orientation of the object in the fluid. However, the net buoyant force will always act in the opposite direction of the weight of the object, causing it to either float or sink.

5. What are some real-world applications of Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle has many real-world applications, such as determining the purity of gold by measuring its buoyant force in water, designing ships and submarines, and calculating the weight of objects in air by measuring their weight in water.