How Do Boundary Conditions Affect Wave Functions in a Particle in a Box Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the wave equation for a particle trapped in an infinitely deep square well and normalizing it using the time independent Schrodinger Equation. The boundary conditions are mentioned and it is noted that both sine and cosine solutions can satisfy them, depending on the specific conditions. The key is to find the value of 'k' that satisfies the boundary conditions.
Nio

Homework Statement

Assume we have an infinitely deep square well of length L, with the left edge of the well at -L/2. Assume U = 0 at the bottom and infinity at the top. A) Using the time independent Schrodinger Equation, derive the wave equation for a particle trapped in this well. Make sure your equation is properly normalized

Homework Equations

shrodingers equation, the general solution to it which is Asinkx +Bcoskx=psi(0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that sin is and odd function and cos is even so I am supposed to arrive at two wave functions and have different values of n, even values for cos and odd for sin. I am supposed to get Psi(x)= (2/L)^.5sin(npix/L) where n is odd values and the same thing except cos and even values. I am having trouble deriving this using my boundary conditions, and I am also having trouble normalizing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would save normalization for the end. What are your boundary conditions so far?

Why is it that you can get sine and cosine solutions? i thought all you needed was the sine solution because it would always satify the boundary conditions of haveing a node at each boundary.

Well both satisfy Schrodingers equations. If the boundary conditions were Psi(0) = 0 and Psi(L) = 0, then sine would be your only solution because cos(0) = 1. But now your BC's are Psi(-L/2) = 0 and Psi(L/2) = 0. Therefore both can be solutions. You just need to find the 'k' that satisfies those BC's.

Related to How Do Boundary Conditions Affect Wave Functions in a Particle in a Box Problem?

What is the particle in a box problem?

The particle in a box problem is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. The box represents the boundaries within which the particle can exist and the problem involves determining the allowed energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions for the particle.

Why is the particle in a box problem important?

The particle in a box problem is important because it provides a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and helps in the study of more complex systems. It also has real-world applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in understanding the properties of materials at the nanoscale.

What are the assumptions made in the particle in a box problem?

The particle in a box problem makes the following assumptions: the walls of the box are infinitely high, the box is of a finite size, and there are no external forces acting on the particle. These assumptions allow for the simplification of the problem and make it easier to solve.

What is the relationship between the size of the box and the energy levels of the particle?

The energy levels of the particle in a box are inversely proportional to the size of the box. This means that as the box size decreases, the energy levels increase. This is known as the quantum confinement effect and is a key concept in nanoscience and nanotechnology.

How does the particle in a box problem relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The particle in a box problem is an example of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In the particle in a box problem, the particle's position is confined to a small space, meaning its momentum must be spread out over a range of values, resulting in a quantized energy spectrum.