How do black holes relate to physics?

From there, you can look into topics such as the formation and characteristics of black holes, their effects on surrounding matter and space, and their role in the study of gravity and relativity. Overall, black holes are a fascinating and complex subject that have many connections to the field of physics.
coyotewater
I have to write a research paper on a topic of my choice for physics class, I chose black holes simply because they interest me and it was one of the few topics unchosen. Can anyone with more scientific intellect then myself provide some insight as to how black holes relate to physics? Just some base information would be great and I can work from there, I just need some topics to expand upon. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
coyotewater said:
I have to write a research paper on a topic of my choice for physics class, I chose black holes simply because they interest me and it was one of the few topics unchosen. Can anyone with more scientific intellect then myself provide some insight as to how black holes relate to physics? Just some base information would be great and I can work from there, I just need some topics to expand upon. Thanks!

I suggest you start by looking up the definition of "black hole". That should tell you what physics has to do with black holes.

Related to How do black holes relate to physics?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How do black holes relate to physics?

Black holes are a fundamental aspect of physics as they are governed by the laws of gravity and general relativity. They also provide a unique opportunity to study the extreme conditions of the universe and test our understanding of physics.

3. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and its core collapses in on itself. This can also happen when two smaller black holes merge together.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. However, objects that are outside the event horizon but close to it can still escape if they have enough energy.

5. How do black holes affect time and space?

Black holes have a strong gravitational pull that warps and distorts the fabric of space-time. They also have a significant impact on the flow of time, causing time to slow down for an outside observer.