How Do Auxiliary Equations Simplify Complex Mathematical Problems?

• Thread starter parkcman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of auxiliary equations to solve equations in math, specifically in the context of Fourier numerical solutions. The confusion arises from the use of an equal sign between dx/a and dy/b, which is explained as an auxiliary equation.
parkcman
I'm flipping through a math book to eventually be able to get to a Fourier numerical solutions but the second chapter has me puzzled
Ux = partial d of U wrt x
Uy = partial d o U wrt y

a*Ux + b*Uy + k*U(x,y) = f(x,y)
dU = Ux * dx + Uy * dy

then they get
dx/a = dy/b = du/ (f(x,y) - k*U)

i don't seem to understand how there is an equal sign in between dx/a and dy/b or where it arises from
when i try to go through the math i seem to get a + sign but the math keeps continuing along with it and they call it "axuiliary equation" and google doesn't seem to help

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
Auxiliary equations can be used to solve simple equations, as well as very complicated equations. The auxiliary equation used to solve an equation is called an "inverse equation" to the equation.

An auxiliary equation is an equation that is used to solve a more complicated equation.

Related to How Do Auxiliary Equations Simplify Complex Mathematical Problems?

What is an auxiliary equation?

An auxiliary equation is an equation that is used to find the roots or solutions of a given polynomial or differential equation. It is often used in solving higher order equations or equations with complex coefficients.

Why is an auxiliary equation needed?

An auxiliary equation is needed because it simplifies the process of solving complex equations. By finding the roots of the auxiliary equation, the solutions to the original equation can be easily determined. It also helps in identifying the number of solutions and their nature (real or complex).

How is an auxiliary equation related to the original equation?

An auxiliary equation is derived from the original equation by manipulating the coefficients and powers of the terms. It has the same roots as the original equation, making it a useful tool in solving the original equation.

What are the different types of auxiliary equations?

The type of auxiliary equation depends on the type of original equation. For polynomial equations, the auxiliary equation is a quadratic equation. For differential equations, the auxiliary equation can be linear, quadratic, or higher order depending on the order of the original equation.

Can an auxiliary equation have complex roots?

Yes, an auxiliary equation can have complex roots. This indicates that the original equation will also have complex solutions. Complex roots of the auxiliary equation come in pairs, with their conjugates being the other root. This helps in determining the nature of the solutions of the original equation.