How do atoms behave in a solid state?

In summary, a solid state refers to the physical state of matter with tightly packed molecules and a fixed shape and volume. Common examples include rocks, metals, wood, ice, and plastic. Solidification or freezing is the process of transitioning from a liquid or gas state to a solid state. Solids are distinguished from liquids and gases by their fixed shape, volume, and rigidity. Scientists study the properties of solids using techniques like X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and thermal analysis.
LogicalAcid
This concept of when things have higher kinetic energy, their molecules and atoms move more never got to me. I don't get how something having more kinetic energy will make the atoms spread apart and liquify, if enough radiation gets to an object (infrared) in order to reach its melting point, I know it will liquify, but I never got how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you agree that every atom in a solid vibrates about a mean position?

Related to How do atoms behave in a solid state?

1. What does it mean for something to be in a solid state?

A solid state refers to the physical state of matter where the molecules are tightly packed and have a fixed shape and volume. This is in contrast to liquids and gases which have more space between molecules and can change shape and volume.

2. What are some examples of things that are in a solid state?

Common examples of things in a solid state include rocks, metals, wood, ice, and plastic. Essentially, any material that maintains a fixed shape and volume is considered to be in a solid state.

3. How does something transition from a liquid or gas state to a solid state?

The transition from a liquid or gas state to a solid state is known as solidification or freezing. This occurs when the temperature of the material decreases, causing the molecules to slow down and pack together in a more organized manner, forming a solid.

4. What properties make a solid different from a liquid or gas?

The main properties that distinguish solids from liquids and gases are shape, volume, and rigidity. Solids have a fixed shape and volume, whereas liquids and gases can change shape and volume. Solids are also more rigid and cannot be compressed like liquids and gases.

5. How do scientists study the properties of solids?

Scientists use various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and thermal analysis to study the properties of solids. These methods allow them to examine the internal structure, composition, and behavior of solids at the atomic and molecular level.