How Do Antifreeze Proteins Help Antarctic Fish Survive the Cold?

• Thread starter bard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proteins
In summary, the Antarctic notothenioid fish have adapted to their icy environment by producing an antifreeze protein that binds to tiny ice crystals and prevents their growth. This allows the fish to thrive in subzero temperatures. While this protein is traditionally thought to bind to a specific molecule, such as a receptor, it appears to function differently in this case by inhibiting ice growth rather than eliciting a reaction.
bard
Anyone know the answer to this ridiculous problem

Antarctic notothenioid fish avoid freezing in their perpetually icy environment because of an antifreeze protein that circulates in their blood. This evolutionary adaptation has allowed these fish to rise to dominance in the freezing southern ocean. It is said that all proteins function by binding to other molecules. To what ligand do you suppose antifreeze proteins bind to keep the fish from freezing.? Or do you think this might be an example of a protein that functions in the absence of any molecular interaction?

Anyone have any suggestions, thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
I would have to guess... the ligand would be ice crystals to stop them from growing.

If there is a ligand, then I suppose it would be water. Some chemical functioning in the absence of any interaction sounds kinda fishy to me... Pun intended. But biology isn't my thing.

Last edited:
Jikx said:
I would have to guess... the ligand would be ice crystals to stop them from growing.

You are right. The protein binds to tiny ice crystal and prevent the growth of these crystals.

But in more technical terms

These compounds allow the fish to survive in subzero ice-laden polar oceans by kinetically depressing the temperature at which ice grows in a noncolligative manner.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12653993

More info
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...rm=Antarctic+Notothenioids+antifreeze+protein

It seems the question has already been answered. The choice of the word "ligand" seems odd in this context. I usually think of ligand as a molecule binding to a receptor, not just any molecular interaction. I wouldn't consider water to be a "ligand" in the true sense of the word.

Moonbear said:
It seems the question has already been answered. The choice of the word "ligand" seems odd in this context. I usually think of ligand as a molecule binding to a receptor, not just any molecular interaction. I wouldn't consider water to be a "ligand" in the true sense of the word.
I agree, in most cases the ligand elicits some sort of reaction in the protein it is binding to, i.e., conformational change, translocation, channel activation, etc. In this case it appears that active groups, the long chain amino acids are functionally exposed prior to exposure to ice and ready to interact with the forming edges of ice crystals, so it's not necessarily reacting but simply inhibiting.

Related to How Do Antifreeze Proteins Help Antarctic Fish Survive the Cold?

1. What are antifreeze proteins and what do they do?

Antifreeze proteins are a type of biomolecule that is produced by certain organisms, such as fish, plants, and insects, to prevent their cells from freezing in cold environments. These proteins bind to ice crystals and prevent them from growing larger, which helps to lower the freezing point of water.

2. How do antifreeze proteins work?

Antifreeze proteins work by binding to the surface of ice crystals, preventing them from growing larger and forming larger ice crystals. This process is known as adsorption. The proteins also have a unique structure that allows them to bind to water molecules, which helps to lower the freezing point of water.

3. What are the potential applications of antifreeze proteins?

Antifreeze proteins have potential applications in a variety of fields, including cryopreservation, food storage, and medical research. They can also be used in the production of antifreeze solutions for cars and airplanes in cold climates.

4. Are antifreeze proteins safe for consumption?

Yes, antifreeze proteins have been found to be safe for consumption. They are naturally occurring proteins that are found in many foods, such as fish and vegetables. However, it is important to note that the safety of any specific antifreeze protein may vary depending on its source and how it is extracted.

5. How are scientists studying and using antifreeze proteins?

Scientists are studying antifreeze proteins in a variety of ways, including analyzing their structure and function, studying their genetic makeup, and testing their potential applications in different industries. They are also using genetic engineering techniques to produce antifreeze proteins in large quantities for commercial use.