How did they get that the vorticity = 2##\omega##?

In summary, The conversation discusses using the book Atmospheric Science by Wallace and Hobbs to learn about the kinematics of winds. The book defines a natural coordinate system using a pair of axes (s, n) based on arc length and distance. The speaker is struggling to understand the concepts in the book, including angular velocity, shear, curvature, differentiation, and partial differentiation. They ask for an explanation of the mathematical definition of vorticity, which involves the components u_x, u_y, and u_z.
Hall
Homework Statement
Deriving an expression for vorticity.
Relevant Equations
Vorticity =##2 \omega##
I'm learning Meteorology, and using the book Atmospheric Science by Wallace and Hobbs. We're discussing the kinematics of the winds (fluids). I shall post some images to say what I don't understand. This is how they define their natural coordinate system
At any point on the surface one can define a pair of axes of a sys- tem of natural coordinates (s, n), where s is arc length directed downstream along the local streamline, and n is distance directed normal to the streamline and toward the left,
Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 5.48.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 5.51.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 5.51.31 PM.png
I know and understand the concepts of angular velocity, shear, curvature, differentiation, and partial differentiation but for some reason, which is latent to me, I cannot understand anything that the book has done. Will you please explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure whether I understand the book but mathematical definition of vorticity says
[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{u}=2\mathbf {\omega}[/tex]
where
[tex]u_x=- \omega y,\ u_y=\omega x,\,\ u_z=0[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Hall

Related to How did they get that the vorticity = 2##\omega##?

1. How is vorticity defined?

Vorticity is a measure of the local rotation of a fluid element in a fluid flow. It is defined as the curl of the velocity field, or the tendency of fluid particles to rotate about a point.

2. What is the significance of vorticity being equal to 2 times the angular velocity?

This relationship between vorticity and angular velocity is known as the Biot-Savart law, and it describes the strength and direction of the rotational motion in a fluid. It is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids.

3. How is vorticity calculated?

Vorticity can be calculated using the formula vorticity = (du/dy) - (dv/dx), where u and v are the velocities in the x and y directions, respectively. This formula is based on the definition of vorticity as the curl of the velocity field.

4. What factors affect the vorticity of a fluid?

Vorticity is affected by several factors, including the velocity and direction of the fluid flow, the shape and size of the fluid element, and the properties of the fluid such as viscosity and density. Changes in these factors can alter the vorticity and lead to changes in the behavior of the fluid.

5. How is vorticity used in practical applications?

Vorticity is used in various fields, such as meteorology, oceanography, and aerodynamics, to understand and predict the behavior of fluids. It is also used in engineering applications, such as designing efficient propellers and wings, and in the study of natural phenomena such as tornadoes and hurricanes.