How did my water heater cause a flood in my apartment?

In summary, two years ago, the speaker experienced a water heater failure that led to flooding in their bedroom and closet. They noticed a similar issue two days ago and expressed frustration with the design and quality of water heaters on the market. They mentioned a previous incident where a water heater caused a flood in their building in Paris. The speaker questioned the location of production for their current water heater and mentioned that it was made in Mexico. Another person joined the conversation and commented on the high quality of the speaker's water heater and suggested that the issue may be with the installation rather than the product itself.
junglebeast
2 years, 2 different kinds of water heaters, 2 flooded apartments.

Last time I was fortunate enough that all the leakage went out the door, but when it happened two days ago it flooded my bedroom and closet during the night. Yeah, that was fun...I step out of bed onto the carpet, squish...what the hell? who peed on the rug? wait..it's everywhere...

Basically, whoever is out there designing water heaters, I don't know who you are, but I'm not impressed.

Computer science news on Phys.org
maybe it's the water there. or the wiring? isn't there some kind of anode you can replace?

I've never had a single water heater failure in 44 years.

junglebeast said:
2 years, 2 different kinds of water heaters, 2 flooded apartments.

Last time I was fortunate enough that all the leakage went out the door, but when it happened two days ago it flooded my bedroom and closet during the night. Yeah, that was fun...I step out of bed onto the carpet, squish...what the hell? who peed on the rug? wait..it's everywhere...

Basically, whoever is out there designing water heaters, I don't know who you are, but I'm not impressed.

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but the rate of failure for new products is ridiculous these days.

Just out of curiosity, where was it made?

Once in the building I was living in in Paris, firemen came in at 6am. They broke in a window on the wall next to mine. We are told a water heater fell, broke the water pipe, and the flood has been continuous over night. The neighbors downstairs noticed it in the morning, the ones upstairs are absent. Meanwhile, the fireman comes out of the window and shouts to the crew chief "It comes from above"...

negitron said:
I've never had a single water heater failure in 44 years.

They don't make 'em where they used to.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but the rate of failure for new products is ridiculous these days.

Just out of curiosity, where was it made?

It's a RheemGlas Fury

humanino said:
Once in the building I was living in in Paris, firemen came in at 6am. They broke in a window on the wall next to mine. We are told a water heater fell, broke the water pipe, and the flood has been continuous over night. The neighbors downstairs noticed it in the morning, the ones upstairs are absent. Meanwhile, the fireman comes out of the window and shouts to the crew chief "It comes from above"...

Wow... ...nice wake-up call!

humanino said:

I hope they were at least smashing windows according to a binary search rather than a linear one

junglebeast said:
It's a RheemGlas Fury

Made in...? I was just curious if they are still made in the US.

Ivan Seeking said:
Made in...? I was just curious if they are still made in the US.

Made in Mexico...well that explains it

junglebeast said:
It's a RheemGlas Fury

That's just about the highest quality heater there is. I have one as the heat exchange unit for my solar water system. This specific unit was required in order for the entire system to be certified because no other tank met its quality. Exactly where is water leaking from the tank? Seems that the flaw is more likely to be in the person who connected the heater.

Related to How did my water heater cause a flood in my apartment?

1. What makes water heater technology suck?

There are a few factors that can contribute to the perception that water heater technology sucks. These include outdated models, improper installation, and lack of regular maintenance.

2. How can I improve the performance of my water heater?

To improve the performance of your water heater, consider upgrading to a newer, more efficient model. It's also important to have your water heater professionally installed and regularly maintained to ensure optimal performance.

3. Is it worth investing in a high-tech water heater?

The answer to this question depends on your specific needs and preferences. High-tech water heaters may offer features like remote control and energy-saving settings, but they also come with a higher price tag. Consider your budget and usage habits before making a decision.

4. How long should a water heater last?

The average lifespan of a water heater is 8-12 years, but this can vary depending on the type and quality of the unit, as well as maintenance and usage habits. Regular maintenance can help extend the life of your water heater.

5. What are some signs that I need to replace my water heater?

If your water heater is over 10 years old, frequently breaks down, or is no longer meeting your hot water needs, it may be time for a replacement. Other signs include rust or corrosion on the tank, strange noises, and an increase in energy bills.