How did H.K. Onnes measure temperature and resistivity?

In summary, H.K. Onnes, the Dutch physicist who first liquefied helium and discovered superconductivity, used a gas thermometer to measure temperature and a method such as a Wheatstone bridge to measure resistance. This was a significant achievement as cryogenic temperature measurements were and still are a challenging task. Despite the difficulties, Onnes was able to make accurate measurements with the equipment available at the time.
DariusP
How did H.K.Onnes measure temperature and resistivity?

As you know, Onnes is a dutch physicist that was the first person to liquefy helium and discover superconductivity a year or so later. I am wondering - what equipment was he using at that time? I couldn't find this information anywhere. Even nowadays measuring cryogenic temperatures is a huge challenge and I'm sure it would require expensive equipment.

Science news on Phys.org
DariusP said:
How did H.K.Onnes measure temperature and resistivity?

As you know, Onnes is a dutch physicist that was the first person to liquefy helium and discover superconductivity a year or so later. I am wondering - what equipment was he using at that time? I couldn't find this information anywhere. Even nowadays measuring cryogenic temperatures is a huge challenge and I'm sure it would require expensive equipment.

Did you come across this already?

https://www.lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/history/cold/DelftKes_HKO_PT.pdf

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I have and it seems like he used a gas thermometer but is a gas thermometer really this accurate? At one point in the article he mentions that "the resistance of a platinum wire become constant at temperature of 4.25K". Can a gas thermometer measure temperature to a such degree of accuracy? I've never personally used it.

DariusP said:
I have and it seems like he used a gas thermometer but is a gas thermometer really this accurate? At one point in the article he mentions that "the resistance of a platinum wire become constant at temperature of 4.25K". Can a gas thermometer measure temperature to a such degree of accuracy? I've never personally used it.

If it says that, unless you have other evidence to the contrary, then that was what it was.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
If it says that, unless you have other evidence to the contrary, then that was what it was.

Zz.
I do not see any information on how the resistance was measured though.

Where are you going with this? Resistances have been measured for decades before this - c.f. Ohm's Law.

Vanadium 50 said:
Where are you going with this? Resistances have been measured for decades before this - c.f. Ohm's Law.
Well, if speaking about temperature, for example, a thermocouple starts to show high errors after -50 degrees of celsius and below. Not a reliable tool for cryogenic temperature measurements, basically. I've read, however, that Onnes used a gas thermometer. Perhaps it is reliable, I don't know. Now I am wondering what reliable tool did he use for resistance measurements...

I don't know what he used. But there is no reason to suspect unreliability because of cold, because the entire resistance measurement can be warm. In the simplest form, you have a battery and an ammeter in series with the cold thing you are testing. It's more likely that something more like a Wheatstone bridge was used, but in any event, you can always make this measurement warm.

Related to How did H.K. Onnes measure temperature and resistivity?

1. How did H.K. Onnes discover superconductivity?

H.K. Onnes discovered superconductivity in 1911 while conducting experiments to measure the resistivity of mercury at extremely low temperatures.

2. What method did H.K. Onnes use to measure temperature and resistivity?

H.K. Onnes used the method of cooling by adiabatic demagnetization to reach extremely low temperatures and then measured the resistivity of different materials using a Wheatstone bridge circuit.

3. What is the significance of H.K. Onnes' experiments on temperature and resistivity?

H.K. Onnes' experiments on temperature and resistivity led to the discovery of superconductivity and paved the way for further research in low temperature physics, which has numerous applications in modern technology.

4. How did H.K. Onnes' experiments on temperature and resistivity impact the scientific community?

H.K. Onnes' experiments on temperature and resistivity opened up a new field of study in low temperature physics and provided a better understanding of the behavior of materials at extremely low temperatures.

5. What equipment did H.K. Onnes use for his experiments on temperature and resistivity?

H.K. Onnes used specialized equipment such as a cryostat, a strong magnetic field, and a Wheatstone bridge circuit in his experiments to measure temperature and resistivity at low temperatures.