How Did Galileo's Lantern Experiment Attempt to Measure the Speed of Light?

In summary, the question is asking for the distance, d, between Galileo and his assistant in order to introduce no more than a 18% error in the speed of light when measuring it using a human reaction time of 0.2 seconds. The equation used is time = distance/speed of light, and the solution is d = 0.1s(2.46E8 m/s) = 2.46E7 m. However, this answer is incorrect and the correct approach is to use the relationship t - t_r = d/c and t = d/c + t_r to find the value of d that will make the difference between the measured speed and actual speed less than or equal to
Flyfishinva
I'm having trouble with a proble I'm trying to complete. The Problem states:

Galileo attempted to measure the speed of light by measuring the time elapsed between his opening a lantern and his seeing the light return from his assistant's lantern. The experiment is illustrated in Figure 25-24. What distance, d, must separate Galileo and his assistant in order for the human reaction time, t = 0.2 s, to introduce no more than a 18% error in the speed of light?

The only way I can think to do the problem is with, time = distance/speed of light. Time would equal 0.1 s and speed of light minus 18% error (I think its minus, because the error would make the velocity seem slower) would be 2.46E8 m/s. d= 0.1s(2.46E8 m/s) = 2.46E7 m (the wrong answer). Any suggestions? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Flyfishinva said:
I'm having trouble with a proble I'm trying to complete. The Problem states:

Galileo attempted to measure the speed of light by measuring the time elapsed between his opening a lantern and his seeing the light return from his assistant's lantern. The experiment is illustrated in Figure 25-24. What distance, d, must separate Galileo and his assistant in order for the human reaction time, t = 0.2 s, to introduce no more than a 18% error in the speed of light?

The only way I can think to do the problem is with, time = distance/speed of light. Time would equal 0.1 s and speed of light minus 18% error (I think its minus, because the error would make the velocity seem slower) would be 2.46E8 m/s. d= 0.1s(2.46E8 m/s) = 2.46E7 m (the wrong answer). Any suggestions? Thanks

The measured speed would be [itex]c_{m} = d/t[/itex] where t = total elapsed time which includes the reaction time of .2 sec.

The actual speed of the light would be [itex]c = d/(t-t_r)[/itex]

So the question asks: what value of d will make the difference [itex]c-c_m[/itex] less than or equal to .18c? That means that [itex]c_m \ge .82c [/itex].

Use the relationship: [itex]t - t_r = d/c[/itex] and [itex]t = d/c + t_r[/itex]

AM

I would like to address your question regarding Galileo's attempt to measure the speed of light using his lantern experiment. First of all, it is important to note that Galileo's experiment was conducted in the 17th century and our understanding of the speed of light has significantly advanced since then.

To accurately measure the speed of light, we now use sophisticated equipment and techniques such as the use of lasers and mirrors. Galileo's experiment, while innovative at the time, is not considered a reliable method for measuring the speed of light.

However, in response to your specific question, I would suggest approaching the problem using the equation velocity = distance/time, where the velocity is the speed of light with an 18% error, the time is the human reaction time of 0.2 seconds, and the distance is what we need to calculate. Rearranging the equation, we get distance = velocity x time. Plugging in the values, we get distance = (2.46E8 m/s)(0.2 s) = 4.92E7 m.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the human reaction time is the only source of error in the experiment. In reality, there are other factors that can introduce error, such as the accuracy of the lanterns and the distance between them. Therefore, this calculation should be taken with caution and is not an accurate representation of the speed of light.

In conclusion, while Galileo's experiment was a significant step in our understanding of the speed of light, it is not a reliable method for measurement. As scientists, we continue to use advanced techniques to accurately measure the speed of light and expand our knowledge of this fundamental constant.

Related to How Did Galileo's Lantern Experiment Attempt to Measure the Speed of Light?

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one second. In scientific notation, it is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s).

2. Who first measured the speed of light?

The speed of light was first estimated by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676, using observations of the moons of Jupiter. However, the first accurate measurement was done by French physicist Hippolyte Fizeau in 1849.

3. How did Galileo contribute to our understanding of the speed of light?

Galileo did not directly contribute to our understanding of the speed of light, as it was not until after his death that the concept of the speed of light was even considered. However, his experiments with telescopes and observations of the moons of Jupiter helped pave the way for later scientists to measure the speed of light.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in physics?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant with a major role in many areas of physics, including special relativity and quantum mechanics. It is also a crucial factor in determining the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, such as light and radio waves.

5. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to current scientific understanding, the speed of light cannot be exceeded. It is considered to be the ultimate speed limit of the universe and is a fundamental constant in physics. However, some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, suggest that it may be possible to warp space-time to travel faster than the speed of light. These theories are still highly speculative and have not been proven.