How did evolution miss flat feet?

In summary, flat feet are a disadvantage in some environments, but may provide a selective advantage in other situations.
Physics_wiz
It seems to me that people with flat feet should have been weeded out by evolution back in the day when they actually had to walk and run around all day long. Am I missing something? Aren't people with flat feet at a huge disadvantage in those conditions?

Biology news on Phys.org
Humans and most species have traits that appear to be non-adaptive.

One simple explanation is that non-adaptive recessive genes may be adaptive in the heterogenous state - i.e., the recessive combined with some other dominant gene provides a selective advantage.
See 'Sickle Cell Anemia' in Wikipedia for example.

The other reason is that (assuming falt feet represent some expression of recessive traits) that even recessives that are selected against stay in a population because when they are in carriers they have no selective effect.
Read about 'Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium'

I do not know of any research on flat feet in humans. However it may be a trait that has selective advantages in some environments. Sometimes the obviousness of a genetic advantage is very hard for us to see. Mainly because we operate personally in an environment where it doesn't provide any advantage.

The existence of flat feet provides a class of people who will seek their livelihoood in some field where they can sit down. And from flint knapping to constitutional law, those activities have been adaptive for the band, tribe, or society.

when they actually had to walk and run around all day long.
Was this ever the situation? The few remaining non-technological tribes of humans in the world don't do this. Granted, there are instances of this (e.g., prolonged hunts, nomadic migration), but as social creatures, we help each other out.

OP said:
It seems to me that people with flat feet should have been weeded out by evolution

couldn't flat feet be considered evolving for pavement walkers? Our feet aren't designed for flat surfaces, but we continually walk on them in western civilization, so it kind of makes sense to me. Maybe we need more innovative floor/sidewalk designs.

Related to How did evolution miss flat feet?

1. How does evolution explain the existence of flat feet?

Evolution does not "miss" features or traits, it simply favors those that provide a survival advantage. Flat feet may be the result of genetic variation, environmental factors, or a combination of both.

2. Why do humans have flat feet if it is not beneficial?

The human foot has evolved to be versatile and adaptable, allowing us to walk and run on a variety of surfaces. Flat feet may have been advantageous for our ancestors living in certain environments, but not necessarily in others. Additionally, flat feet may not necessarily be detrimental to survival.

3. Are flat feet a sign of a genetic mutation?

Not necessarily. While there may be genetic factors that contribute to flat feet, it is not always indicative of a mutation. Some studies suggest that flat feet may be a normal variation within the human population.

4. Can flat feet be corrected through evolution?

It is unlikely that flat feet will be "corrected" through evolution. As mentioned, flat feet may not necessarily be detrimental to survival and may even have some advantages. Evolution works through natural selection, which is driven by the environment and not by a predetermined goal of perfection.

5. Do other animals have flat feet?

Yes, other animals, such as primates, bears, and elephants, also have flat feet. Just like in humans, the shape and structure of an animal's foot are adapted to their specific environment and lifestyle.