How could a solar farm affect the trains' signalling?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter t0mm02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar Trains
In summary, a solar farm that provides electricity to railway signalling could affect the train's signalling.
t0mm02
Homework Statement
No homework, just curiosity
Relevant Equations
No equation
How could a solar farm that would provide electricity to trains railway affect the train's signalling?

Physics news on Phys.org
You think maybe you could be a little more vague?

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
phinds said:
You think maybe you could be a little more vague?
If I build a solar farm to provide electricity to the train railway, is it anyway that the signalling could be affected by having an exterior energy source rather than national grid energy?

I never travel on trains after dark anyway, so it won't affect me. :wink:

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and phinds
Hdez said:
If I build a solar farm to provide electricity to the train railway, is it anyway that the signalling could be affected by having an exterior energy source rather than national grid energy?
Yes, I understood that to be the intent of your question. I still find it too vague to answer since you give zero specifics on the circuitry, voltages, connections, etc. involved.

Maybe Hdez is worried that the 500 Watt train signal lights might lose power before the MegaWatt electric trains do...

https://www.abc.net.au/science/news/img/health/redlight081105.jpg

1610671733177.png

t0mm02 said:
If I build a solar farm to provide electricity to the train railway, is [there] anyway that the signalling could be affected by having an exterior energy source rather than national grid energy?
I think other responders have been too cautious. All we need to do is to make some assumptions:
  • You build your solar farm in Afghanistan
  • Your train is in Venezuela
  • The electrical power from your Afghanistan solar farm which you feed into the Venezuelan train infrastructure meets the Venezuelan standards for electrical power. It is therefore indistinguishable from electrical power taken from the Venezuelan electrical grid
I think I can be reasonably confident in predicting there will be no effect on the train system signalling and especially so during the hours of Afghanistan darkness.

• Haha
Likes phinds
So, @t0mm02 you see what happens in a thread when you pose a question that is so vague as to be unanswerable?

phinds said:
... a question that is so vague as to be unanswerable?
May I dispute "unanswerable"? :cool:

It is answerable ...

... but the assumptions which need to be made give an answer which is probably of no use whatsoever.

Of course, if you have a solar farm in Afghanistan, if your train is in Venezuela and if you only want the train to run during the hours of Afghanistan sunshine then I think my answer is excellent. But, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, "Well, I would, wouldn't I?".

Last edited:
Likes t0mm02
phinds said:
So, @t0mm02 you see what happens in a thread when you pose a question that is so vague as to be unanswerable?
Yes, well, the solar farm size is not stated and what it connects to.

We could have a very small solar farm with, just one solar panel, supplying the electricity for the signal lights, with battery storage for periods of weak sunshine. With a prolonged period of weak sunshine, the batteries may drain to the point where they cannot provide enough power to the signal lights, and a failure of some sort ensues, perhaps even to the train itself somehow if we are talking about track signals, or to a car that wishes ( actually it is the driver who wishes - the car and passengers in the car go along for the ride ) to cross a level crossing, and is now not warned of a train approaching .

Likes t0mm02

Related to How could a solar farm affect the trains' signalling?

1. How does a solar farm affect the trains' signalling?

A solar farm can affect the trains' signalling in several ways. The most common way is through electromagnetic interference (EMI). Solar panels generate a significant amount of EMI, which can disrupt the communication signals between the trains and the signalling system. This can lead to errors in train detection, speed control, and other critical functions.

2. Can solar panels be installed near train tracks without affecting the signalling system?

Yes, it is possible to install solar panels near train tracks without affecting the signalling system. This can be achieved by using special shielding materials and proper placement of the panels to minimize EMI. Additionally, advanced signalling systems that are designed to withstand EMI can also be used.

3. Are there any safety concerns with installing a solar farm near train tracks?

Yes, there are safety concerns with installing a solar farm near train tracks. The panels can create glares that can blind train operators, leading to accidents. It is essential to consider the placement and orientation of the panels to minimize glares. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the panels can also help reduce the risk of glares.

4. How can the potential impact of a solar farm on trains' signalling be assessed?

The potential impact of a solar farm on trains' signalling can be assessed through electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing. This involves measuring the levels of EMI generated by the panels and determining if they are within the acceptable limits for the signalling system. Simulation and modeling can also be used to predict the potential impact before installation.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for installing a solar farm near train tracks?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines for installing a solar farm near train tracks. These vary by country and region, but generally, they include safety and EMC requirements. It is essential to consult with the local authorities and railway companies to ensure compliance with these regulations before installing a solar farm near train tracks.