How could a photon travel at lightspeed if it has mass?

In summary, the concept of photons having a mass is a common misconception. Photons do not have a rest mass, and their "mass" is better understood as energy. The idea of a stationary photon having mass is incorrect, as photons always move at the speed of light. The term "invariant mass" or "rest mass" is used to describe the mass of an object at rest, and in this sense, photons have no mass.
acesuv
I've heard that photons have a mass. If a photon were to be stationary, would it have mass? If not, then where does the mass of a photon come from?

I know that if an object has stationary mass (forgive me if this isn't the correct term), then it takes an infinite amount of energy in order to achieve light speed.

I suppose that the mass of the photon is actually energy which is acquired somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
acesuv said:
I've heard that photons have a mass.

Where did you hear/read this? I'm not aware of any results indicating that photons have a nonzero invariant mass (a.k.a. "rest mass"). All I've ever seen are upper limits.

This thread is a good example of WHY it's less confusing to say "photons have energy" than "photons have relativistic mass". These two statements mean exactly the same thing, but I believe one is significantly less confusing to the lay person and significantly less likely to lead to confused followup questions and other assorted confusions.

acesuv said:
I've heard that photons have a mass. If a photon were to be stationary, would it have mass? If not, then where does the mass of a photon come from?

I know that if an object has stationary mass (forgive me if this isn't the correct term), then it takes an infinite amount of energy in order to achieve light speed.

I suppose that the mass of the photon is actually energy which is acquired somehow?

It was explained to me, on my first internet science forum, on March 13, 1997, thusly:

munu said:
If photons have a small rest mass, they can no longer move at the speed we call "c". I know its confusing that in this situation "c" can no longer be described as the "velocity of light", but the situation is completely consistent and satisfactory, and is open to various experimental tests, which yield the limit of about 10-20 eV for the photon mass.

hmmm... I wonder if anyone has kept track of how many times this question has been asked.

hmmm... It sure took me a long time to get a humour award.

Om said:
If it were more than zero, according to einstein, it's mass would be infinite, it would suck up the whole universe, and we would all be dead.
(this is nonsense...moderator)

:-p

(ref)

If a photon were to be stationary, would it have mass?

photons always move at 'c' locally.

If not, then where does the mass of a photon come from?

as noted, photons have energy [and momentum], not mass.

The term you seek is 'invariant mass', also commonly called called 'rest mass'. The 'infinite energy' is an imprecise way to explain that mass cannot travel at speed 'c'...only slower. There is not sufficient energy anywhere to make that happen. A simpler view is that any observer [which requires mass] sees local light at speed 'c' no matter how fast they are going.

So even a really fast observer still sees light buzzing by at good old 'c'...In other words, if you were able to accelerate and move at, say, 0.7C, which is possible, you would still observe light passing you by at the usual 'c'.

Related to How could a photon travel at lightspeed if it has mass?

1. How can a photon travel at lightspeed if it has mass?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries energy and has zero rest mass. This means that it has no mass when it is at rest. However, it does have momentum and can travel at the speed of light because it has no rest mass to slow it down.

2. Does this mean that photons are exempt from the laws of relativity?

No, photons still follow the laws of relativity. The theory of relativity states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and this applies to photons as well. They are able to travel at the speed of light because they have no rest mass, not because they are exempt from the laws of relativity.

3. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence apply to photons?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. Since photons have energy, they also have mass in the form of energy. However, this mass is not the same as rest mass and does not affect the speed at which photons travel.

4. Can photons ever slow down or speed up?

No, photons always travel at the speed of light. They cannot be slowed down or sped up. However, they can change direction or be absorbed by matter, which can give the illusion of slowing down or speeding up.

5. Why is it important to understand how photons travel at lightspeed if they have mass?

Understanding how photons travel at the speed of light is crucial in our understanding of the universe. It helps us explain many phenomena, such as the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the relationship between energy and mass. It also plays a significant role in technologies such as lasers and fiber optics.