How constant acceleration affects the tripulation of a spaceship?

In summary: That's exactly what I meant. My first language is indeed Portuguese.Thank you all for your answers, the subject is now clear to me.
MonkeyKid
I appologize for any spelling or grammar errors. Please take into account that English isn't my first language and that I haven't finished my English course yet, since I'm 14 years old.

My Question (which I suppose is very dumb): Imagine there is a manned spacecraft traveling through deep space accelerating at a constant rate of 1g (10 m/s²). Would the tripulation feel a constant pull towards the back of the ship equivalent to gravity on Earth? Or would they float weightlessly? Why?

I'm thinking about interstellar travel and I thought that maybe accelerating beyond 1g would be harmful, because the tripulation would experience a strong gravity-like force pulling them towards one end of the ship (the back end, in case the vehicle was accelerating, or the front end, in case it was decelerating).

The answer and the explanation are probably very obvious, so thanks in advance for anyone taking their time to answer this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what "tripulation" means, and a search of the dictionary turned up nothing. However, I assume you are asking whether passengers, whether people or objects, would be weightless or not. The answer is that they would not be weightless. They would be pushed into the back of the ship with an acceleration of about 9.8 m/s2, or 1g.

About one hundred years ago Einstein formulated his "equivalence principle". It states that gravity is the same as constant acceleration. So in a ship accelerating at 1 g toward its front, its passengers and objects would feel gravity as if the ship were standing on the Earth its front pointing upward.

Drakkith said:
I don't know what "tripulation" means, and a search of the dictionary turned up nothing. However, I assume you are asking whether passengers, whether people or objects, would be weightless or not. The answer is that they would not be weightless. They would be pushed into the back of the ship with an acceleration of about 9.8 m/s2, or 1g.

S(he) meant to say the crew of the ship. The OP's first language is probably either Spanish or Portuguese. The word for crew in Spanish, for instance, is tripulación. In Portuguese it is tripulação.

Likes Sten Larsen and Delta2
dauto said:
S(he) meant to say the crew of the ship. The OP's first language is probably either Spanish or Portuguese. The word for crew in Spanish, for instance, is tripulación. In Portuguese it is tripulação.

That's exactly what I meant. My first language is indeed Portuguese.

Thank you all for your answers, the subject is now clear to me. In long manned space trips to distant stars, we are then not only limited in terms of highest speed achievable but also in the highest acceleration tolerable by the human crew.

I like the way you rationalize kid! keep thinking

Related to How constant acceleration affects the tripulation of a spaceship?

1. How does constant acceleration affect the speed of a spaceship?

Constant acceleration causes the speed of a spaceship to increase at a steady rate. This means that the spaceship will cover more distance in a shorter amount of time compared to if it were not accelerating constantly.

2. Can constant acceleration be sustained indefinitely in a spaceship?

Yes, constant acceleration can be sustained indefinitely in a spaceship as long as there is enough fuel to power the engines. However, as the spaceship's speed increases, it may encounter challenges such as friction and air resistance that may decrease the acceleration.

3. How does constant acceleration affect the crew on board a spaceship?

Constant acceleration can have a significant impact on the crew on board a spaceship. As the acceleration increases, so does the force acting on the crew. This can cause discomfort, dizziness, and even loss of consciousness if the acceleration is too high.

4. What are the benefits of using constant acceleration in space travel?

Using constant acceleration in space travel allows for quicker and more efficient journeys. It also reduces the time needed for the crew to experience the effects of microgravity, making it a safer and more comfortable option for long-distance space travel.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using constant acceleration in space travel?

One of the main drawbacks of using constant acceleration in space travel is the amount of fuel required. As the spaceship accelerates, it needs more fuel to maintain that acceleration, making it a costly endeavor. Additionally, high levels of acceleration can also have negative effects on the human body, so careful considerations must be made for the crew's safety.