How common for almost same solar eclipse 17 months later?

In summary, South America (Chile/Argentina) will experience a total solar eclipse this winter and then another one only 17 months later. This is not a common occurrence and is due to the eclipse cycle of 37 S -23 I, which contains a Pentalunex every 123 years. There are about 34 Pentalunex every 123 years, and 3 ways 17 months can contain it. This pattern can be seen in a graphic that has been stored for a long time.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Note that 17 months is near a whole number of days. That sends the same lunar phase right back to the same time zone on Earth. Note that 17 months is nearly 1 & 3/8 years.

This eclipse cycle has 3 eclipse seasons. We can write the Saros-Inex notation;
Saros = 358*E - 61*M = 37 S
Inex = 38*M - 223*E = -23 I

This eclipse cycle is written 37 S -23 I. It won't repeat. The cycle contains a Pentalunex. There are about 34 Pentalunex every 123 years, and 3 ways 17 months can contain it.

• Informative
Likes Drakkith and sophiecentaur
swampwiz said:
I see that South America (Chile/Argentina) will be getting a total solar eclipse this winter (i.e., winter there) and then another one only 17 months later that seems to be along the same type of path, albeit a little bit south. This can't be very common.
Found the graphic I stored so long ago ... It might enlighten you :smile:

Do you see the patterns ?

Dave

Attachments

• 1555189815498.png
    1555189815498.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 386
  • 1555189837898.png
    1555189837898.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Informative
Likes sophiecentaur

Related to How common for almost same solar eclipse 17 months later?

1. What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the Earth.

2. How often do solar eclipses occur?

Solar eclipses occur about every 18 months, but they are not visible from every location on Earth each time.

3. What is the difference between a total and partial solar eclipse?

In a total solar eclipse, the moon completely blocks the sun, causing a brief period of darkness. In a partial solar eclipse, the moon only partially covers the sun, resulting in a crescent shape of sunlight.

4. How common is it for a solar eclipse to occur in the same location 17 months later?

It is not very common for a solar eclipse to occur in the same location 17 months later. The Earth's orbit and the moon's orbit around the Earth are constantly changing, making the path of the eclipse different each time.

5. Can you predict when and where a solar eclipse will occur?

Yes, scientists can predict when and where a solar eclipse will occur by studying the movements of the Earth, moon, and sun. However, the exact path and timing of the eclipse may vary slightly due to the changing orbits.