How come we can see galaxies 9 B l/y away if universe is only 14 B y/o

In summary, we can see objects that are 9 or more billion light years away from us because the universe is only 14 billion years old. The light from those objects would have taken that same amount of time to reach us, but because we have been moving for 10 billion years, the light has actually traveled a longer distance than the objects would have had to.
moe darklight
this might be a dumb question. but how come we can see objects that are 9 or more billion light years away from us?
seeing as the universe is only 14 billion years old, and nothing can travel at the speed of light... then how can we see objects that would have taken 6,7,8 + billion years to get to where they are compared to us... then the light from those objects would have taken that same amount of time to reach us...
wouldn't that take more time than is available?

I'm probably overlooking something really obvious as usual...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe we've seen gamma ray bursts which occurred 10 billion light years away from us. Gamma rays are EM waves wand travel at the speed of light. I don't why we would need more time.

ranger said:
I believe we've seen gamma ray bursts which occurred 10 billion light years away from us. Gamma rays are EM waves wand travel at the speed of light. I don't why we would need more time.

but wouldn't those gamma rays come from something that took at least 10 billion years to get there?
if something 10 billion L/y away reacted to create those bursts, even if it could travel at the speed of light, it would take at least 10 billion years to get there, and then 10 billion more years for those rays to reach us, wouldn't it?

I mean, if energy can't be created or destroyed, then those gamma rays couldn't have just come out of nowhere... there had to have been something there to create those gamma rays, and that something would have had to get there somehow.

and even closer objects... something 7 billion L/y away, would still take 7 billion years to get there, plus 7 billion years for the light to reach us... even if it traveled at the speed of light that's more than the age of the universe.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
but wouldn't those gamma rays come from something that took at least 10 billion years to get there?

To get where? The GRB emitted photons from where it was 10 billion years ago. It took those photons 10 billion years to catch up to us. There is no telling where that galaxy is "now". Remember that we are moving also, as is space itself.

no, I understand that it is not "there" anymore.
but here's my problem:

- the light took 10 billion years to get here.
- so, 10 billion years ago, that reaction happened 10 billion light years away from where we are now.
- that would give that matter less than 4 billion years to travel 10 billion light years in order to get to where it was and generate those light waves... which is impossible.

The two galaxies did not travel to get 10 billion light years away from each other, the space between them expanded. The rate at which space expands is not limited by the speed of light.

We have been moving for 10 billion years since the light was emitted.

Assume, for example, that two objects are 4 billion light years apart when one of the objects explodes. If the two objects are moving away from each other with a constant velocity of 0.6 c, the second object won't see the explosion for another ten billion years.

O... ok, I think i understand now... tell me if i got it right:

- light always travels at the same speed in the vacuum of space
- the distance between those two points is actually growing (the Earth and the gamma burst), but they are not actually "moving" in the stricter sense.
- so the light ends up having to "travel" a longer distance than the object had to in order to get back to the earth, because the actual distance between those two points kept growing.

Last edited:
Bang on.
(10 char)

Related to How come we can see galaxies 9 B l/y away if universe is only 14 B y/o

1. How can we see galaxies that are 9 billion light years away if the universe is only 14 billion years old?

The reason we can see galaxies that are 9 billion light years away is because the light from these galaxies has been traveling towards us for 9 billion years since the beginning of the universe. This means that the light we are seeing now was emitted when the universe was only 5 billion years old.

2. How does the speed of light factor into this?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, and it is the maximum speed at which anything can travel. This means that even though the universe is only 14 billion years old, light from distant galaxies has had enough time to reach us due to its incredible speed.

3. Is it possible that the universe is older than 14 billion years?

While our current understanding of the universe suggests that it is 14 billion years old, it is always possible that new research and discoveries may change this estimate in the future. However, based on the evidence we have now, 14 billion years is the most widely accepted age of the universe.

4. How do we know the distance of these galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance of galaxies, including the brightness of stars, their redshift, and the expansion of the universe. These methods have been refined over time to give us a more accurate understanding of the distance of galaxies, including those that are 9 billion light years away.

5. What other factors could affect our ability to see distant galaxies?

The main factor that affects our ability to see distant galaxies is the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the space between galaxies also expands, causing the light from these galaxies to redshift and become more difficult to observe. Additionally, the presence of dust and gas in the universe can also impact the visibility of distant galaxies.