How come this factoring works for finding points on a curve that equals slope 1?

In summary, the equations y=x^4+2x^3+x^2+x+1 and y\prime=4x^3+6x^2+2x+1 both result in y'=0. However, the first equation has a slope of 1 and the second equation has a slope of 0. So the first equation is a solution to the problem while the second equation is not.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

[tex]y\prime=4x^3+6x^2+2x+1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]4x^3+6x^2+2x+1[/tex]

[tex]-1 = 2x(2x^2+3x+1)[/tex]

(I moved the +1 over so I don't get 1/x, but I figured this should screw up the equation since it is no longer 0 on the left hand side.)

[tex]-1 = 2x(2x+1)(x+1)[/tex]

So the "zeroes" are -1/2, -1, and 0, which is actually the correct answers, but why does this factoring still work? Doesn't the left hand side have to be 0? It bothers me when I can get the correct answer but I don't know why... Isn't that why they're called "zeroes"?

They original equation is [itex]y = x^4 + 2x^3 + x^2 + x + 1[/itex], where deriving gets me the equation that is stated above. Usually pllugging in an x will solve for slope, but it is already given that the slope is 1. I also used common sense to figure out if x was 0, only the constant 1 would remain and 1 = 1, so 0 is a point for sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
iamsmooth said:

Homework Statement

[tex]y\prime=4x^3+6x^2+2x+1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]4x^3+6x^2+2x+1[/tex]

[tex]-1 = 2x(2x^2+3x+1)[/tex]

(I moved the +1 over so I don't get 1/x, but I figured this should screw up the equation since it is no longer 0 on the left hand side.)

[tex]-1 = 2x(2x+1)(x+1)[/tex]

So the "zeroes" are -1/2, -1, and 0, which is actually the correct answers, but why does this factoring still work? Doesn't the left hand side have to be 0? It bothers me when I can get the correct answer but I don't know why... Isn't that why they're called "zeroes"?
They are the "correct answers" to what question? They are NOT "zeroes" of the original equation nor do they satisfy that equation.

They original equation is [itex]y = x^4 + 2x^3 + x^2 + x + 1[/itex], where deriving gets me the equation that is stated above. Usually pllugging in an x will solve for slope, but it is already given that the slope is 1. I also used common sense to figure out if x was 0, only the constant 1 would remain and 1 = 1, so 0 is a point for sure.
So the original problem was to find where [itex]y'= 4x^3+ 6x^2+ 2x+ 1= 1[/itex]? If you subtract 1 from both sides of that, you get [itex]4x^3+ 6x^2+ 2x= 2x(2x+1)(x+1)= 0[/itex].

I don't know why you were setting [itex]4x^3+ 6x^2+ 2x+ 1[/itex] equal to 0, that makes no sense at all.

Looks to me like you made two mistakes that just happened to cancel each other!

Last edited by a moderator:
As HallsofIvy points out, you didn't provide the complete question. Based on what you report as the correct answers and some reverse engineering, the question might have been this:
"If y' = 4x3 + 3x2 + x, find all values of x for which y' = 0."
Note that there is no constant term.

Solution:
y' = 0
==> 4x3 + 3x2 + x = 0
==> x(4x2 + 3x + 1) = 0
==> x(2x + 1)(x + 1) = 0
==> x = 0, or x = -1/2 or x = -1

The original question was probably: find the points on the curve of x^4+2x^3+x^2+x+c where the slope is equal to 1. After differentiation you get

[tex]
y\prime=4x^3+6x^2+2x+1 = 1
[/tex]

after canceling the 1's you get an equation you can factor.

The point that HallsOfIvy, willem2, and I are making, is that we shouldn't have to guess what the problem is. You need to provide the problem, exactly as stated.

Sorry. The original question is:

"Find the equation of the tangent and normal lines to the curve

[tex]y=x^4+2x^3+x^2+x+1[/tex]

at the point where the tangent line has slope equal to 1.

So I derived

[tex]
y\prime=4x^3+6x^2+2x+1
[/tex]

and went from there.

willem2 said:
The original question was probably: find the points on the curve of x^4+2x^3+x^2+x+c where the slope is equal to 1. After differentiation you get

[tex]
y\prime=4x^3+6x^2+2x+1 = 1
[/tex]

after canceling the 1's you get an equation you can factor.

Oh! Sorry didn't read this earlier, but you're right. That's where the 1 goes. I forgot to plug in the slope of 1 which cancels the 1 on the other side. I was wondering why it worked even though there was a -1 on the other side.

Thanks a lot! Appreciate it :D

Related to How come this factoring works for finding points on a curve that equals slope 1?

1. How does factoring help find points on a curve with a slope of 1?

Factoring helps find points on a curve with a slope of 1 by simplifying the equation of the curve to its basic form, allowing us to easily identify the coordinates of points that satisfy the equation.

2. What is the significance of finding points on a curve with a slope of 1?

Finding points on a curve with a slope of 1 is significant because it helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of the curve. It also allows us to determine the rate of change of the curve at specific points, which can be useful in various applications such as physics and economics.

3. Can factoring be used to find points on curves with other slopes?

Yes, factoring can be used to find points on curves with other slopes. In fact, factoring is a useful tool in solving various types of equations and identifying the coordinates of points on different types of curves.

4. Is factoring the only method for finding points on a curve with a slope of 1?

No, factoring is not the only method for finding points on a curve with a slope of 1. Other methods such as graphing and using the slope formula can also be used to determine the coordinates of points on a curve with a slope of 1.

5. Are there any limitations to using factoring to find points on a curve with a slope of 1?

Yes, factoring may not always be applicable or efficient in finding points on a curve with a slope of 1. In some cases, the curve may not be easily factorable or may require advanced factoring techniques. In these situations, other methods may be more suitable for finding points on the curve.