How come? Summation, identity?

In summary, summation is a mathematical operation that involves adding numbers together in a specific order. The identity property in summation states that the sum of any number and 0 is equal to the original number, making it important in simplifying calculations and serving as the basis for other properties. The identity property can also be applied to other operations such as multiplication and division, and is used in various real-world applications including finance, economics, and statistics.
shanepitts
How does e22 ≈ 1-Δ22

When Δ<<δ ?

I'm sure it's a basic summation I'm unaware of.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This comes from the Taylor expansion of the exponential function. Remember that
[tex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \cdots = \sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{x^i}{i!}[/tex]
As [itex]x[/itex] gets very small, the lower order terms dominate (since the others go to zero), and so we can approximate the exponential function by taking the first few terms of the Taylor expansion.

Last edited:
Likes shanepitts

Related to How come? Summation, identity?

1. How does summation work?

Summation is a mathematical operation where the sum of a sequence of numbers is calculated. It involves adding numbers together in a specific order, starting from the first number in the sequence and continuing until the last number is reached. This can be represented using the sigma (Σ) notation.

2. What is the identity property in summation?

The identity property in summation states that the sum of any number and 0 is equal to the original number. In other words, when adding 0 to a series of numbers, the result will always be the same as the original series. This is similar to the concept of the additive identity in basic arithmetic.

3. Why is the identity property important in math?

The identity property is important because it helps simplify calculations and makes it easier to manipulate equations. It also serves as the basis for other properties, such as the commutative and associative properties, which are essential in advanced mathematical concepts.

4. Can the identity property be applied to other operations besides summation?

Yes, the identity property can be applied to other operations as well, such as multiplication and division. The identity element for multiplication is 1, as the product of any number and 1 is equal to the original number. For division, the identity element is the number itself, as the quotient of any number divided by itself is equal to 1.

5. How is the identity property used in real-world applications?

The identity property is used in various real-world applications, such as finance, economics, and statistics. In finance, the concept of compounding interest relies on the identity property of multiplication. In economics, the concept of net present value also relies on the identity property of multiplication. In statistics, the identity property is used to calculate the mean or average of a set of numbers.