How Close Are We to Engineering Non-Biological Systems Controlled by the Brain?

In summary: I will explain it simpler: Is it achievable in my lifetime (I am 18) to build a completely non-biological replacement body to support the brain, and perhaps even other systems to prevent the brain itself from degrading?
Jonnyb42
I am interested in building replacements for every single body part and bodily function, (with a sort of non biological replacement, more electrical and mechanical.) in order to support the brain. I know that the brain is the least understood body part, but my wonder is just how understood is it? If actuators controlled by brain signals were to be made, how far from knowing which areas of the spinal cord that could control such actuators, (be they artifical muscle or actual motors!) are we?
I ask because if we are so far from such a thing that it would be impractical for me to study appropriate fields enough to reach such a goal, then I would choose another goal, such as physics or engineering power systems, which I like slightly more. If it is not impractical, or even already achieved, (I have searched online but have not found anywhere that says such progress) then I would find it MUCH more worth my time studying biomedical engineering, and whichever appropriate fields required to achieve the goal I mentioned above.

Preserving the brain itself is another story, I believe it will require nanotechnology, but I know the least about that. Any comments on that would be great.

Thanks,
Jonny

PS:
If I have not worded the above well enough, then I will explain it simpler: Is it achievable in my lifetime (I am 18) to build a completely non-biological replacement body to support the brain, and perhaps even other systems to prevent the brain itself from degrading?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Jonnyb42 said:
I am interested in building replacements for every single body part and bodily function, (with a sort of non biological replacement, more electrical and mechanical.) in order to support the brain. I know that the brain is the least understood body part, but my wonder is just how understood is it?
Very, very badly!
Jonnyb42 said:
If actuators controlled by brain signals were to be made, how far from knowing which areas of the spinal cord that could control such actuators, (be they artifical muscle or actual motors!) are we?
The problem is little big than you think, even individuals genetically identical can have differences in phenotype. So there is no universal answer to your question.
Jonnyb42 said:
I ask because if we are so far from such a thing that it would be impractical for me to study appropriate fields enough to reach such a goal, then I would choose another goal, such as physics or engineering power systems, which I like slightly more. If it is not impractical, or even already achieved, (I have searched online but have not found anywhere that says such progress) then I would find it MUCH more worth my time studying biomedical engineering, and whichever appropriate fields required to achieve the goal I mentioned above.
Technical questions can be deterministic, on the matter of your question, the history is a little more complicated. To achieve the goal that you wish, still need a lot of science to map uncharted ground, so no one can say if this is possible in your lifetime or yours grandsons.

Jonnyb42 said:
Preserving the brain itself is another story, I believe it will require nanotechnology, but I know the least about that. Any comments on that would be great.

Thanks,
Jonny

PS:
If I have not worded the above well enough, then I will explain it simpler: Is it achievable in my lifetime (I am 18) to build a completely non-biological replacement body to support the brain, and perhaps even other systems to prevent the brain itself from degrading?

Nanotechnology is how a simple cell works, the enzymatic protein work isn’t completely know, even for the smallest simplest cell.

Alex

Jonnyb42 said:
I am interested in building replacements for every single body part and bodily function, (with a sort of non biological replacement, more electrical and mechanical.) in order to support the brain. I know that the brain is the least understood body part, but my wonder is just how understood is it? If actuators controlled by brain signals were to be made, how far from knowing which areas of the spinal cord that could control such actuators, (be they artifical muscle or actual motors!) are we?

Thanks,
Jonny

PS:

Not a chance in hell. The current understanding of the brain is minimal, and replication of the tissue would alter you. Brains in a box require a fundamental leap in the understanding of neurology, or a "cheat", as in a blue-box and a "copy" function. there is nothing about nanotechnology that promises to preserve the brain beyond repairing damage, or encouraging new growth. You are not going to have some kind of nano-scaffolding for your brain while we still can't isolate the causes of basic disorders. The brain is complex, almost beyond belief, and there is debate as to whether it is a classical or quantum computer, as it goes.

Nanotech, or more likely, bioengineering may extend your life, repair damage, and enhance the brain, but making you a new one would require a clone, with a brain, and it still would not be YOU.

but making you a new one would require a clone, with a brain, and it still would not be YOU.
I didn't mean to make a new brain, I just imagined nanobots swarming around the brain preventing it from degenerating, or replacing damaged areas, stuff like that.

Jonnyb42 said:
I didn't mean to make a new brain, I just imagined nanobots swarming around the brain preventing it from degenerating, or replacing damaged areas, stuff like that.

Still more scifi, than actual science.

AlexB2010 said:
Still more scifi, than actual science.

It isn't unthinkable, but within the lifetime of anyone currently breathing? That is probably science fiction.

Well thanks everyone, it appears what I want is not reachable in my lifetime, so this would make me not so favorable of the bio/medical field (so far)

EDIT:
The problem is little big than you think, even individuals genetically identical can have differences in phenotype. So there is no universal answer to your question.
Well, could there be some process/test done before hand to then determine the neural paths of that person along the spinal cord? I realize these are very far fetched ideas but there must some way, hopefully understandable in my lifetime.

Not a chance in hell.
If so, that really sucks.

Last edited:

Related to How Close Are We to Engineering Non-Biological Systems Controlled by the Brain?

1. What is the current understanding of how the brain works?

The current understanding of the brain is that it is a complex network of neurons and synapses that communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals. The brain is responsible for controlling all of our thoughts, behaviors, and bodily functions.

2. How does the brain process and store information?

The brain processes and stores information through a process called neuroplasticity, where connections between neurons are strengthened or weakened based on the frequency and intensity of stimulation. This allows the brain to adapt and learn new information.

3. Can the brain regenerate damaged or lost neurons?

It was previously believed that the brain could not regenerate damaged or lost neurons, but recent studies have shown that some areas of the brain, such as the hippocampus, can generate new neurons throughout our lifetime. However, this process is limited and varies depending on the individual.

4. How does the brain control emotions and behavior?

The brain controls emotions and behavior through a complex interplay between different regions and neurotransmitters. The limbic system, which includes the amygdala and hippocampus, is responsible for processing emotions, while the prefrontal cortex helps regulate and control behavior.

5. What are some current theories about consciousness?

There is no consensus on the exact nature of consciousness, but some current theories include the global workspace theory, which suggests that consciousness arises from the integration of information from different brain regions, and the integrated information theory, which proposes that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe and is present in all complex systems.