How centripetal force is created?

In summary: Rotation of Earth around the sun >>> centripetal force is... generated by the sun's gravity onto the Earth.3) movement of a car in a circle on the road >>> centripetal force is... generated by the car's friction with the ground.4) A person running in a circle >>> centripetal force is... generated by the person's body pushing against the ground.
LogU16
Hello, teachers.

Do we apply centripetal force ourselves Or is it created by some other source? What is the source? How is it created?

I could not find the answer, I'm confused, please help me clarify this.

Many many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can apply centripetal force to another object (but not to ourself) and set the object to a circular orbit.

If ourself is in circular orbit, then something else is apllying centripetal force on us.

The source of centripetal force can be anything, for example when we sit inside a car that does circles, then the centripetal force is applied on us by the seat of the car, or by the car's sidewall. The centripetal force to the car (because the car is also in circular orbit) is applied to the car from the friction between the car's tyres and the ground.

Last edited:
The centripetal force is a name for the "component of the net-force on an object that makes it go around a circle [that is, turns the velocity vector]".
It's not a new force... it need not have a single source...
It does not appear as "an additional force" on a Free-Body Diagram.
It is part of the net-force on the object.

Likes Vatsal Sanjay
Are Centripetal and centrifugal force come from the same origin ...or are they action and reaction forces ?

They are related but in a complicated way...Centrifugal forces are fictitious forces in a non-inertial frame of reference

LogU16 said:
Do we apply centripetal force ourselves Or is it created by some other source? What is the source? How is it created?

I could not find the answer, I'm confused, please help me clarify this.
I really don't understand what you mean by the questions. "Ourselves"? "Other source?" "How?" Maybe on a more basic level you need to understand what centripetal force is, because those follow directly from any description. The answers might just be a pice of string (on a yoyo), gravity (for the moon) or a tire (for a car).

Random examples of "ourselves" generating the tension that results in centripetal forse: a twirling pole dancer; the outermost ice skaters when a line of them are rotating in a circle; a water skier when traveling in a circular arc (the tension component in the tow line and the skier's arms), a gymnast doing rotations on a high bar, a gymnast swinging on "flying rings", a gymnast doing flips in mid air, ... .

Short video of the last two examples:

http://rcgldr.net/real/quad.wmv

@russ_watters Sir, I mean to say; Do we apply centripetal force by our hands Or is it generated by itself? What is the cause for this force?

LogU16 said:
@russ_watters Sir, I mean to say; Do we apply centripetal force by our hands Or is it generated by itself? What is the cause for this force?
We can apply it with our hands -- many examples were already given.

Thank you Sir, could you give me one or two examples in which we apply this force by our hands?

LogU16 said:
Thank you Sir, could you give me one or two examples in which we apply this force by our hands?
This is getting frustrating: did you not read the examples already given? Is there anything specific you don't understand about any of them?

@russ_watters Sir, I have read the examples but I am unable to differentiate where we apply this force by our hands.

The examples which I'm confused about are;
1) A small stone attached to a string moving in a circle
2) Rotation of Earth around the sun
3) movement of a car in a circle on the road
4) A person running in a circle

Could you please tell me what's the source of generating the centripetal force in above four examples?
Many many thanks!

LogU16 said:
@russ_watters Sir, I have read the examples but I am unable to differentiate where we apply this force by our hands.

1) A small stone attached to a string moving in a circle - the person's hand pulls inwards on the string, creating an inwards force, but most of the centripetal force is exerted by the string onto the stone.

2) Rotation of Earth around the sun - hands are not involved.

3) movement of a car in a circle on the road - hands are not involved.

4) A person running in a circle - hands are not involved (feet are).

Read post #7 again for examples of centripetal force being applied via a persons hands.

Thanks, Sir @rcgldr. I request you to please tell me the cause of centripetal force in examples 2,3 and 4 too.

LogU16 said:
Thanks, Sir @rcgldr. I request you to please tell me the cause of centripetal force in examples 2,3 and 4 too.
Can you apply what you have learned and attempt to answer that question yourself?

Ok Sir. I just try to answer, If you find any mistake in my explanation, please correct me here;

1) A small stone attached to a string moving in a circle >>> centripetal force is the tension force that string applies over the stone.
2) Rotation of Earth around the sun >>> centripetal force is the force of gravity that is applied on the Earth by the sun.
3) movement of a car in a circle on the road >>> centripetal force is the force of friction (present between tires and road) that is applied by the road on the car.
4) A person running in a circle >>> centripetal force is the force of friction (present between the feet and the ground) that is applied by the ground on the person.

Thanks a lot!

Related to How centripetal force is created?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directing it towards the center of the circle. It is necessary to keep the object moving in a curved path and prevents it from flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force is calculated using the equation F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What creates centripetal force?

Centripetal force is created by a combination of inertia and a perpendicular force acting on the object. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, and the perpendicular force is directed towards the center of the circle, keeping the object in its curved path.

4. How does centripetal force affect an object's speed?

Centripetal force does not affect an object's speed, but rather its direction. As long as the centripetal force is acting on the object, it will maintain a constant speed but change direction continuously, resulting in circular motion.

5. Can centripetal force be observed in everyday life?

Yes, centripetal force can be observed in everyday life in various forms. Some examples include the motion of a car around a curved road, the rotation of a ceiling fan, and the orbit of planets around the sun. Roller coasters and carnival rides also rely on centripetal force to keep riders safely in their seats as they move in a circular path.