How can you smash glass without physical contact?

In summary, it's possible to break glass with sound, but it's impractical in this scenario. There are other alternatives that haven't been discussed.
Vector_Legacy
Hi

I was just wondering what ways you can smash glass without physically touching/breaking/throwing something at it. For example, I know that the "force" of an explosion can break glass that is a fair distance away from the actual explosion. So is there any way you could make something that would break glass from a distance of say, 2-10 metres that isn't a bomb, or is a bomb but doesn't cause the damage of a normal bomb, if that makes sense?

I know it's possible with sound, but it's too impractical in this scenario.

Are there any other alternatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vector_Legacy said:
Hi

I was just wondering what ways you can smash glass without physically touching/breaking/throwing something at it. For example, I know that the "force" of an explosion can break glass that is a fair distance away from the actual explosion. So is there any way you could make something that would break glass from a distance of say, 2-10 metres that isn't a bomb, or is a bomb but doesn't cause the damage of a normal bomb, if that makes sense?

The "sound" could be a frequency that humans can't hear, if "noise" is an issue, etc.

You could throw IT about 2-10 m away so it breaks itself.

You could also balance it on an ice cube, and when it melts, the glass will fall and break, etc.

A thermal shock can break glass.

Depending on the glass itself, composition, form factors, etc...there can be other options.

Tea Jay said:
The "sound" could be a frequency that humans can't hear, if "noise" is an issue, etc.

You could throw IT about 2-10 m away so it breaks itself.

You could also balance it on an ice cube, and when it melts, the glass will fall and break, etc.

A thermal shock can break glass.

Depending on the glass itself, composition, form factors, etc...there can be other options.
Thanks for the reply.

Sound is not an issue, with practcality I meant it needs to be portable, using sound would require big speakers, amps, etc.

Thermal Shock sounds interesting but it wouldn't be practical.

Is there any way to create some sort of 'explosion' that would break glass but not cause an actual explosion.. if that makes sense?

Vector_Legacy said:
Hi

Vector_Legacy said:
Thanks for the reply.

Sound is not an issue, with practcality I meant it needs to be portable, using sound would require big speakers, amps, etc.

Thermal Shock sounds interesting but it wouldn't be practical.

Is there any way to create some sort of 'explosion' that would break glass but not cause an actual explosion.. if that makes sense?

What is the application?

berkeman said:
What is the application?
I've already explained haven't I?

Vector_Legacy said:
I've already explained haven't I?

Nope. Why do you want to break glass at a distance? Is this a window? We have a prohibition at the PF about discussing dangerous activities, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with this thread...

Related to How can you smash glass without physical contact?

1. How is it possible to smash glass without physically touching it?

Through the use of ultrasonic sound waves, it is possible to shatter glass without any direct physical contact. The sound waves create vibrations that cause the glass to break apart.

2. What equipment or technology is needed to smash glass without physical contact?

Ultrasonic transducers and a power source are typically required for smashing glass without physical contact. These devices emit high frequency sound waves that can break down the molecular structure of glass.

3. Is smashing glass without physical contact safe?

Yes, this method is considered safe. The sound waves used are at a frequency that does not harm humans or animals. However, caution should still be exercised when using this technology to prevent potential injuries from broken glass.

4. Can any type of glass be smashed without physical contact?

Most types of glass, including tempered and laminated glass, can be smashed using ultrasonic sound waves. However, thicker and stronger types of glass may require a more powerful ultrasonic device.

5. What are the advantages of smashing glass without physical contact?

Smashing glass without physical contact can be advantageous in situations where using traditional methods may be dangerous or difficult, such as in situations involving hazardous materials or in hard-to-reach places. It can also be a more precise and controlled method of breaking glass.