How Can You Simplify General Relativity Equations Without Using Tensors?

In summary, the student's adviser advised them to find an equation and expand it to remove tensors, which can be found in a textbook. The student attempted to use greek indices as separate equations, but encountered issues when using gαβ = diag(-1, 1, 1, 1). They asked for other possible values for the metric tensor and clarified that they were trying to find the Einstein tensor for Euclidean space. The adviser responded by stating that the Einstein tensor is trivial in flat space and depends on the distribution of mass, and asked for clarification on the specific space the student was working with. The student then mentioned they were not given much information, but were asked to find the equations in terms of x, y,
Vardonir

Homework Statement

Essentially, my adviser just told me to get the equation, then expand it so that it doesn't have any tensors. That's it. Just get rid of the tensors.

He said that this would be normally found in some textbook...? I've searched a lot of books, but I never saw anything that didn't have the equations in tensor form.

Homework Equations

I got Gμv = 8πTμv.

Reading further, I also got the following:
Gμv = Rμv - (1/2)gμvR
R = gαβRαβ

And I also found the Ricci tensor in terms of the Christoffel symbols but that's too long to type.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried doing is just plug in values of the greek indices and treat each one as a separate equation. However, when I use gαβ = diag(-1, 1, 1, 1), the left hand side always becomes zero.

Is there any other value of the metric tensor that I can use?

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole point of the Einstein tensor is that it is trivial in flat space, where there is no gravity. What you get for the Einstein tensor depends upon the metric tensor which, in turn, depends upon the distribution of mass in space. What situation are you assuming? You are trying to find the Einstein tensor for what space?

HallsofIvy said:
The whole point of the Einstein tensor is that it is trivial in flat space, where there is no gravity. What you get for the Einstein tensor depends upon the metric tensor which, in turn, depends upon the distribution of mass in space. What situation are you assuming? You are trying to find the Einstein tensor for what space?

I wasn't really given that much information, aside from "find the equations in terms of x, y, z, and t." I'm guessing Euclidean space, then.

I wouldn't plug in anything for the metric. Just leave the formulas in terms of [itex]g_{tt}, g_{tx}[/itex] and so on.

I would first clarify with my adviser what they mean by "getting rid of tensors" in the equations. It is important to understand the reasoning behind this request and to make sure that the resulting equations are still accurate and valid.

Assuming that the goal is to express the equations in a more simplified form, one approach could be to use the Einstein field equations in the form of Gμv = 8πTμv and then use the metric tensor gμv to express the Ricci tensor Rμv in terms of the Christoffel symbols. This would result in a set of equations that do not explicitly contain tensors, but still represent the same physical relationships.

Alternatively, one could also use a different coordinate system or a different metric tensor, such as the Minkowski metric, to simplify the equations. However, it is important to note that these simplifications may also result in a loss of information or accuracy in the equations.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the implications of "getting rid of tensors" in the equations and to ensure that the resulting equations are still valid and representative of the physical phenomena being studied.

Related to How Can You Simplify General Relativity Equations Without Using Tensors?

What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains the force of gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

What are the equations of General Relativity?

The main equation of General Relativity is the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. Other important equations in General Relativity include the geodesic equation, which describes the paths of particles in curved spacetime, and the equations for the metric tensor, which represents the curvature of spacetime.

What is the significance of General Relativity?

General Relativity is one of the most important theories in modern physics. It has been validated by numerous experiments and observations, and it is the basis for our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.

How are General Relativity equations used in everyday life?

General Relativity equations are used in a variety of applications, such as GPS systems, where they are used to correct for the effects of time dilation and gravitational redshift. They are also used in astrophysics and cosmology to study the behavior of massive objects and the evolution of the universe.

What are some challenges in solving General Relativity equations?

Solving General Relativity equations can be challenging due to their complexity and non-linearity. In addition, these equations involve multiple variables and require advanced mathematical techniques, making them difficult to solve analytically. Numerical methods are often used to approximate solutions to these equations.