How Can You Redirect scanf to Read from a File in GCC?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcc
In summary, the conversation discusses how to make a code read from a file instead of user input. The solution involves using fopen() and fscanf(), and there are many examples available online. Additionally, there is a suggestion to use the symbol "<" from the command line. The conversation also mentions the challenge of writing test cases for a program that reads from files and whether there is a statement that opens a file and allows scanf to read from it.
Werg22
I have a code which uses scanf. How do I make the compiled code read from a (text) file instead from user's input?

Technology news on Phys.org
open the file with fopen() and then use fscanf()
if you search for these terms you should find lots of examples

That's an idea, but I need to be able to do it from the command line... I know there's a way, involving the symbol "<", I just don't remember the details.

If you just want the same code to read from a file you can just use:
program << file.txt

Thank you very much. Maybe you can answer this question too: how can I write test cases for my program, keeping in mind it has to read from files? I'm used to using "assert" for tests, by copying my program into a header file and then writing a main function with a bunch of assert statements. In this case, I can't exactly use assert. Is there a statement that opens a file and let's scanf read from it?

Did you read the second post?

Related to How Can You Redirect scanf to Read from a File in GCC?

1. What is GCC?

GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) is a free and open-source compiler system used to compile various programming languages, including C, C++, and Fortran.

2. How do I install GCC?

The installation process for GCC varies depending on your operating system. For Linux users, GCC is typically included in the operating system or can be installed through a package manager. For Windows users, GCC can be installed through MinGW or Cygwin. For Mac users, GCC can be installed through Xcode or Homebrew.

3. How do I use GCC to compile my C program?

To compile a C program using GCC, you can use the command "gcc -o " in the terminal. This will create an executable file with the given output name. You can also add additional flags to specify compiler options, such as -Wall for displaying warnings.

4. What are some common errors when compiling with GCC?

Some common errors when compiling with GCC include syntax errors in the code, missing header files or libraries, and incompatible compiler options. It is important to carefully check your code and make sure all necessary files are included before compiling.

5. Can I use GCC to compile other programming languages?

Yes, GCC supports compilation for various programming languages, including C, C++, Fortran, Objective-C, and Ada. However, some languages may require additional libraries or tools to be installed before compilation.