How Can You Optimize Fence Length Without Using Derivatives?

In summary, Mark44 is discussing a math problem involving optimization without the use of derivatives. He suggests graphing the function to find the maximum area, which can be done without calculus due to the length constraint. Mark44's suggestion is considered by the others and deemed helpful.
Sorry!
Hey guys this isn't exactly a homework question. I'm helping my girlfriend with her grade 12 college level math course. When i was in grade 12 i took calculus.. and she called me and asked for help with optimization. I don't think in her class they are learning about calculus so how would you go about say optimizing 500m of fence for the greatest area without using derivatives?

Derivatives is the only method i know of to do these types of problems... unless she is supposed to trial and error?

Physics news on Phys.org
By graphing the function that gives the area of the enclosed area. Because of the length constraint, I think you'll be getting a quadratic function whose vertex can be found without the use of calculus.

true enough, i never thought about it that way how dumb of me lol :P thanks mark44

Related to How Can You Optimize Fence Length Without Using Derivatives?

1. What is "college level optimization"?

College level optimization refers to the process of maximizing efficiency and effectiveness in a college or university setting. This can include optimizing educational programs, financial resources, and student success.

2. Why is college level optimization important?

College level optimization is important because it allows institutions to make the most of their resources and provide the best possible education for students. It also helps to ensure that students have the support they need to succeed academically and personally.

3. How is optimization achieved at the college level?

Optimization at the college level involves analyzing data, identifying areas for improvement, and implementing strategies to increase efficiency and effectiveness. This can include streamlining processes, investing in technology, and making data-driven decisions.

4. What are some common challenges in college level optimization?

Some common challenges in college level optimization include limited resources, resistance to change, and balancing competing priorities. It can also be challenging to gather and analyze data, and to implement changes that benefit all stakeholders.

5. What are the benefits of college level optimization?

The benefits of college level optimization include improved student outcomes, increased efficiency and cost savings, and a better overall academic experience for students. It can also help institutions stay competitive and adapt to changing needs and expectations in the education landscape.