How Can You Measure Light Wavelengths Using Microscope Slides and Rubber Bands?

In summary, the conversation discusses a secondary school experiment involving measuring the minimum and maximum wavelength that our eyes can see. This was done by using a pair of microscope slides, a rubber band, and a source of mono-chromatic light. The result was bands of light on the top slide, which could be used to calculate the wavelength of the light. The details of the calculation are not remembered, but the experiment can easily be recreated. The name and a link to the experiment are also requested.
alikim
In school we somehow measured the minimum and maximum wavelength our eyes could see

Unfortunately, all I remember is that we were looking through a slit between jaws of some sort of calipers and used a ruler to do measurements

Can anyone please give me an insight of how to set up such experiment?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
The sort of experiment I remember doing in secondary school is this: take a pair of microscope slides and wrap a rubber band about the two at one end. Take a source of mono-chromatic light (for "minimum and maximum wavelength our eyes could see" use sources of blue and red light) and shine on the slides. Because you have bound one end of the slides together more firmly than the other, there will be a slight airgap. The light will be reflected from both sides of the air gap so that the two waves will have a slight phase difference, the difference depending on the size of the gap which increases toward the open end. That will result in "cancellation" at some distance, "reinforcement" at others so you can see bands of light on the top slide. The width of those bands is easily measured and the wave length of the light calculated from that. I don't remember the details of the calculation.

HallsofIvy said:
The sort of experiment I remember doing in secondary school is this: take a pair of microscope slides and wrap a rubber band about the two at one end. Take a source of mono-chromatic light (for "minimum and maximum wavelength our eyes could see" use sources of blue and red light) and shine on the slides. Because you have bound one end of the slides together more firmly than the other, there will be a slight airgap. The light will be reflected from both sides of the air gap so that the two waves will have a slight phase difference, the difference depending on the size of the gap which increases toward the open end. That will result in "cancellation" at some distance, "reinforcement" at others so you can see bands of light on the top slide. The width of those bands is easily measured and the wave length of the light calculated from that. I don't remember the details of the calculation.

Interesting. If you happen to remember what this experiment is called or have a link to it please give it to me. I'd love to look into it.

Related to How Can You Measure Light Wavelengths Using Microscope Slides and Rubber Bands?

1. What is a light wavelength?

A light wavelength is the distance between the peak of one wave of light to the peak of the next wave. It is measured in nanometers (nm) and is used to describe the color of light.

2. How is light wavelength measured?

Light wavelength is measured using a device called a spectrophotometer. This instrument uses a prism or diffraction grating to separate the different wavelengths of light and then measures the intensity of each wavelength.

3. Why is light wavelength important in science?

Light wavelength is important in science because it is used to identify and study different materials. Each material absorbs and reflects light at different wavelengths, allowing scientists to determine the composition of a substance.

4. Can light wavelength be seen by the human eye?

No, light wavelength cannot be seen by the human eye. We can only see a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, known as visible light, which ranges from approximately 400 to 700 nm.

5. How does light wavelength affect the color of objects?

The wavelength of light that is reflected or absorbed by an object determines its color. Objects that reflect shorter wavelengths of light appear blue or purple, while those that reflect longer wavelengths appear red or orange. The combination of wavelengths that are reflected or absorbed by an object determines the overall perception of its color.