How can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes?

In summary, identifying the type of gun by the sound it makes can be done through analyzing the fundamental frequency and using algorithms similar to voice recognition software. The company ShotSpotter uses time-of-flight and multiple sound detectors to accurately locate the source of gunshots, including distinguishing between different types of guns and calibers. This is achieved by measuring the full range of impulsive sounds produced by urban weaponry, including the mini-sonic-boom generated by high-power rifle bullets.
btb4198
how can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes ? Like if you had a recording of a gun shot but you Can't see the gun and you can find the bullet.

Physics news on Phys.org
btb4198 said:
how can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes ? Like if you had a recording of a gun shot but you Can't see the gun and you can find the bullet.
You can or can't find the bullet? Big difference...

Have you looked into this: http://www.shotspotter.com/

:smile:

The same way you tell the difference between people's voices, or the difference between a motorcycle a car and a truck's sound.

anorlunda said:
The same way you tell the difference between people's voices, or the difference between a motorcycle a car and a truck's sound.
Sorry I meant in code. So like I want to write a program than an tell the different. Also you can tell the difference between people's voice by find the fundamental frequency right ?

btb4198 said:
Sorry I meant in code. So like I want to write a program than an tell the different.
Did you look around the ShotSpotter website that I linked to?

berkeman said:
Did you look around the ShotSpotter website that I linked to?
Yeah ! How do in code that ? What algorithms are they using ?

btb4198 said:
Yeah ! How do in code that ? What algorithms are they using ?
I"m sure their code is proprietary, especially the physical location determination part. Did you see if they claim that they can also distinguish rifle/pistol and maybe the approximate caliber?

Have you studied voice recognition software yet? That's a good place to start to learn how to write code to distinguish different sounds.

wow how do they know where the gun fire is coming from ? This is what I wanted to code...

btb4198 said:
wow how do they know where the gun fire is coming from ? This is what I wanted to code...
They primarily use time-of-flight to multiple sound detectors, but they also have to do initial testing and calibration of an installation to learn about the echo characteristics and multi-path characteristics. Most of the ShotSpotter installation are in towns and city environments, where there are multiple bounces for most of the acoustic paths.

Also, keep in mind that most high-power rifle bullets are supersonic, so they generate a mini-sonic-boom as they travel near the sensors -- it's not just the initial shot sound that goes into figuring out what type of round it is:

http://www.shotspotter.com/technology
Unlike counter-sniper sensors which can only measure a limited range of sounds—the supersonic signature of a sniper’s round with a known ballistic coefficient—SST’s wide area protection system measures the full range of impulsive sounds (sounds which are explosive in nature) found in urban weaponry, from sub and supersonic impulses to explosions.

Related to How can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes?

What is the importance of identifying the type of gun by sound?

Being able to identify the type of gun by its sound can provide critical information in forensic investigations and criminal investigations. It can also help law enforcement officers and military personnel determine the type of threat they are facing and respond accordingly.

What are the factors that affect the sound of a gun?

The type of gun, the caliber, the ammunition used, the barrel length, the environmental conditions, and the distance from the source of the sound can all impact the sound of a gun. Additionally, the presence of silencers, muzzle brakes, and suppressors can also alter the sound of a gun.

What are the common methods used to identify the type of gun by sound?

The most common methods include acoustic analysis, spectrogram analysis, and waveform analysis. These methods involve analyzing the sound waves produced by the gun and comparing them to a database of known gun sounds.

Can the sound of a gun be altered or disguised?

Yes, there are various devices and techniques that can be used to alter or disguise the sound of a gun. This can make it more difficult to identify the type of gun by sound, but trained professionals with specialized equipment may still be able to make an accurate determination.

Are there any limitations to identifying the type of gun by sound?

Yes, there are limitations to this method, as the sound of a gun can be affected by various factors and can be altered or disguised. Additionally, the accuracy of identification may depend on the quality of the recording and the expertise of the person analyzing the sound. It is also important to note that identifying the type of gun by sound should not be the sole basis for any legal actions or decisions.