How can you ensure you pull a mass at a constant velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to maintain a constant velocity in an upcoming experiment. The participants suggest using a video to measure time and ensuring that the time to travel through equally spaced markings is within a specific range. Other suggestions include using a motor or improvising a machine with an old turntable. The possibility of using wheels and ensuring low friction is also mentioned. Details, such as equipment availability, are deemed important.
Nick tringali
In an experiment I hope to carry out, one of my "constants" are velocity (constant velocity). I must say a way I will keep this value constant. For example I can not say "I will try my best to pull mass at a constant velocity" "I will take a video of the experiment. When I examine the video, I will measure the time for the reference point on the block to pass the markings. This data will be included in the report. I will consider the velocity to be constant if the time to travel through equally spaced markings is within + or – 5% of each other"

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't pull it by hand. Use a motor with appropriate gearing.

Likes Nick tringali
Thanks A.T. The problem is I do not have a motor this must be done by hand:biggrin:

Without the details of the experiment and what equipment you have available, nobody can help you.

You should practise moving whatever it is at a constant speed ... pick the speed, say 10cm per second, mark out 10cm intervals and move the object past each 10cm mark when your watch ticks off each second. Something like that. The alternative is improvising some sort of machine.
If you have an old turntable, you can attach a bobbin to the middle and use it to wind a thread attached to the object.

Thing is - neither of these suggestions work if you are supposed to push a car.
Details are important.

Likes Nick tringali
Thanks Simon, both of your suggestions will work.

Likes Simon Bridge
"I must say a way I will keep this value constant."
Very low friction? Are wheels allowed?

Related to How can you ensure you pull a mass at a constant velocity

1. How do you define a constant velocity?

A constant velocity is when an object is moving in a straight line at a steady speed, with no change in direction or acceleration.

2. What is the role of friction in pulling a mass at a constant velocity?

Friction plays a crucial role in maintaining a constant velocity. It is the force that opposes the motion of the object and without it, the object would continue to move at a constant speed indefinitely.

3. How can you minimize the effects of external forces on the mass?

To ensure that the mass is pulled at a constant velocity, it is important to minimize the effects of external forces such as air resistance. This can be done by reducing the surface area of the object, using streamlined shapes, and minimizing the distance over which the object is pulled.

4. Is it possible to pull a mass at a constant velocity on an inclined plane?

Yes, it is possible to pull a mass at a constant velocity on an inclined plane. This can be achieved by adjusting the pulling force and angle of the plane to counteract the effects of gravity and maintain a steady speed.

5. What are some tools that can be used to measure the velocity of the mass?

There are several tools that can be used to measure the velocity of a mass, including speedometers, radar guns, and motion sensors. In some cases, simple tools like a stopwatch and measuring tape can also be used to calculate velocity based on distance and time.