How can you determine the normal force?

In summary, the weight of the box, gravity, and the angle θ all play a role in determining the force of friction.
davidelete

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows the forces acting on a block moving at a constant velocity down an inclined plane. The weight of the block, Fw, can be resoled into two components, one parallel to the surface of the plane, Fll, and one perpendicular to the surface of the plane, F_l_. If you know the weight of the block and the value of angle θ when the block moves at constant velocity, you can calculate the coefficient of sliding friction. You can also use a computer to do the calculations for you.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/5617/physicstrianglethingac9.png

1. What are the two forces the values of which must be known before the coefficient of sliding friction can be calculated?

2. What data must you have in order to determine these two forces?

3. How can you determine the normal force?

4. How can you determine the force of friction?

5. What equation is used to calculate the coefficient of sliding friction?

6. In the space below, draw a flowchart to calculate the coefficient of sliding friction.

7. If you have access to a computer, follow your flowchart and write a computer program to calculate the coefficient of sliding friction. The measure of angle θ must be expressed in radians. Let Ff represent the force of friction, and FN represent the normal force. Attach a printout of your program to this page.

8. Choose a weight between 25 N and 74 N and an angle θ between 15° and 30°. Enter these data and run your program. Attach a printout of your results to this page.

9. After you have run several different values for θ, try to determine a relationship between the coefficient of friction and trig functions of angle θ.

Homework Equations

N/A as of now. I first have to figure out the first few before I get into any sort of math.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Frictional Force (Ff)and Normal Force (FN)

2. The weight of the box, gravity, and the degree of θ.

3. Multiply the mass by negative gravity as in FN.
My teacher said something about the cosine of θ, but I don't really know how to implement this, being that this is the first day that we are going over vectors and she bombarded us with this.

4. The force of friction can be determined by normal force as in Ff=μ* FN

5. Ff=μ* FN or μ=Ff/FN

6. I have no idea. My teacher just said to put our problem solving steps down for this one. First I need some problem solving steps...

7. She said to use Microsoft Excel for this purpose. As soon as I figure out the first five, this shouldn't be too hard. Any guidance would help, of course.

8. ?

9. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmmm. Ill try to work it out, I am also just beginning physics. Ill tell you what I got.

Help!

Ill help you, I pmed you the answer :)

barato said:
Ill help you, I pmed you the answer :)

Hmm, all of your answers seem flawed. I appreciate the help, but you and I are in the same boat. We are "n00bz" as the online community says, and thus we can not offer much help to one another except in the form of moral support.

Related to How can you determine the normal force?

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the perpendicular force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it. It is also known as the contact force or support force.

2. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity. This is represented by the equation FN = mg, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the normal force?

The normal force is affected by the weight and angle of the object, as well as the type of surface it is in contact with. It also changes with any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can the normal force be negative?

No, the normal force cannot be negative. It always acts in a direction perpendicular to the surface and opposes the weight of the object. If the object is on an inclined surface, the normal force may be less than the weight, but it will never be negative.

5. Why is the normal force important?

The normal force is important because it helps to determine the stability and equilibrium of objects on surfaces. Without the normal force, objects would not be able to stay in place or support the weight of other objects on top of them. Additionally, understanding the normal force is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics and structural design.