How Can You Derive the Sine of Alpha from Two Inclined Plane Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses using two equations to solve a problem involving an inclined-plane system with a block of mass M attached to two different hanging masses, m1 and m2. The equations, when set equal to each other, do not allow for the addition or cancellation of variables. The conversation suggests using a 2x2 linear equation system and the method of adding instead of subtracting to solve the problem.
Kam Jam

Homework Statement

"Combining the x-direction conditions in Equations 1 and 2, please show that $$sin ∝ = \frac {m_1 + m_2} {2M}$$"

The two equations below are describing two different setups of an inclined-plane system with a block of mass M attached to a hanging mass of ##m_1## in setup 1 and a higher ##m_2## in setup 2.

Homework Equations

Equation 1 = $$m_1g + f - Mgsin∝ = 0$$
Equation 2 = $$m_2g - f - Mgsin∝ = 0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For a similar problem, I was able to set the two equations equal to one another and isolate the needed variable. I attempted to do the same, like so $$m_1g + f - Mgsin∝ = m_2g -f - Mgsin∝$$
With this method, I couldn't find any algebraic method which would allow me to add the masses; in order to put ##m_1## and ##m_2## together in any way, I'd have to subtract one from the other. I similarly couldn't cancel ##f##. The best I could do resulted in either ##2f## or ##-2f##.
I'd appreciate any help or guidance to a better solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
What variable is conspicuous by its absence from the target equation?

Could you please make a diagram? If there are two situations please draw them both, and identify the variables.

That's a 2x2 Linear Equation System. Try another method to solve it!

Hint: You don't need the f, what is the best method to remove it?

Kam Jam said:
... I'd have to subtract one from the other ...
How about adding one to the other instead of subtracting?

Related to How Can You Derive the Sine of Alpha from Two Inclined Plane Equations?

1. What does "combining force equations" mean?

Combining force equations refers to the process of taking multiple equations related to forces, such as Newton's laws of motion, and using them together to solve for unknown variables.

2. Why is it important to combine force equations?

Combining force equations allows scientists to accurately calculate and predict the motion and interactions of objects in different scenarios, such as in physics experiments or engineering designs.

3. How do you combine force equations?

To combine force equations, you must first identify the relevant equations for the given scenario. Then, you can manipulate and rearrange the equations to solve for the desired variable.

4. Can you combine force equations from different systems or theories?

Yes, it is possible to combine force equations from different systems or theories, such as using equations from both classical mechanics and electromagnetism to calculate the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations to combining force equations?

While combining force equations can be a powerful tool, it is important to remember that they are based on simplified models of reality and may not always accurately predict the behavior of complex systems. Additionally, combining equations can become more challenging when dealing with non-linear or chaotic systems.