How Can You Calculate Train Displacement in the First 3.15 Seconds of Motion?

Then, you can use the kinematic equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2 to calculate the displacement. In summary, the question is asking for the train's displacement in the first 3.15 seconds of motion, given a constant acceleration and final velocity after 5.34 seconds. The solution involves using kinematic equations to find the acceleration and displacement.
david12
I try my best to solve this problem but couldn't ...here is the question

1.the train starting rest leaves a station with a constant acceleration.at the end of 5.34 s,it is moving at 15.549m/s. what is the train displacement in the first 3.15 s of motion?answer in units of meter.

I try in this way but couldn't get the answer.
I use velocity = displacement/time

15.549m/s= S/(5.34-3.15)

then i got 34.0523 m
after i got 34.05m i calculated the distance from 0s to 5.35 s which is 83.0316

finaly i subtract 83.0316 - 34.0523 = 48.97 m

but my answer is wrong so is there anyone can show me how i can do this question
thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration with this problem. It can be challenging to accurately solve for displacement when given limited information and a complex situation like a train starting with constant acceleration. I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using the equations of motion to solve for displacement.

First, let's start with the given information. We know that the train has a constant acceleration, which means that its velocity is changing at a constant rate. We also know that after 5.34 seconds, the train is moving at a velocity of 15.549 m/s.

Next, let's use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 since the train was at rest), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the acceleration, which is a = (v-u)/t. Plugging in the values, we get a = (15.549 m/s - 0 m/s)/5.34 s = 2.911 m/s^2.

Now, we can use the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. We are trying to find the displacement in the first 3.15 seconds, so we can plug in t = 3.15 s and solve for s. We get s = (0 m/s)(3.15 s) + 1/2(2.911 m/s^2)(3.15 s)^2 = 13.742 m.

Therefore, the train displacement in the first 3.15 seconds of motion is 13.742 meters. I hope this helps and shows you a different approach to solving this problem. Remember to always carefully analyze the given information and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variables. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, as problem-solving is a crucial skill in science.

Related to How Can You Calculate Train Displacement in the First 3.15 Seconds of Motion?

1. What is the "Train Displacement Problem"?

The Train Displacement Problem, also known as the Train Meeting Problem, is a mathematical problem that involves two trains traveling towards each other at different speeds on the same track. The problem aims to find the time and distance at which the trains will meet.

2. What are the key factors that affect the outcome of the Train Displacement Problem?

The key factors that affect the outcome of the Train Displacement Problem are the speed of the trains, the distance between them, and the direction in which they are traveling. Other factors, such as acceleration and deceleration, may also impact the solution.

3. How is the Train Displacement Problem solved?

The Train Displacement Problem can be solved using algebraic equations or graphical methods. The most common approach is to create a table or graph to track the distance and time of each train until they meet at a common point.

4. Are there real-life applications of the Train Displacement Problem?

Yes, the Train Displacement Problem has real-life applications in transportation and logistics. It can be used to calculate the timing and distance of train collisions, as well as the efficiency of train schedules and routes.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Train Displacement Problem?

One common misconception about the Train Displacement Problem is that the trains must start at the same time. In reality, the problem can also be solved if the trains start at different times, as long as their total distance and speed are known. Another misconception is that the trains must be traveling in opposite directions, when in fact they can also be moving in the same direction at different speeds.