How Can You Calculate the Phase Margin of an Unstable System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase and gain margins for unstable systems and how they can be calculated and interpreted. It is mentioned that the gain and phase margins for an unstable system are negative and need to be made positive in order to stabilize the system. This can be achieved through the use of a lead compensator, which has a zero near the origin and a pole very far to the left hand plane.
LM741
hey

can you find the phase/gain margin of unstable system. I am asked for the phase margin of this system, but the nyquist plot reveals that -1 is encicled verfiying that the system is unstable,.. how can you get a phase margin of an unstable system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't believe so. The definition of the signal phase margin (SPM) is the largest additional phase angle the system can accept without becoming unstable.

i concur, but then why is the PM required??

that's what i figured...but the question asks for a phase margin...unless my judgement on the stability of the system is incorrect... I've just included the nyquist plot as an attachement so this can be vrified.

many thanks

Attachments

• nplot.doc
    28 KB · Views: 223
The gain and phase margins of an unstable system are negative. In your case the gain margin is approximately -2.1dB, meaning that you should increase your gain by more than 2 dB, without altering the phase, in order to make your system stable.

but surely i should need to change my phase too (because like you said my pahse margin is negative)

this still does not make sense because if you look at the definitions of phase/ gain margin - it is the amount (phase/gain) you can add to the system BEFORE it BECOMES unstable...

here, we have an unstable system initially, and we have evaluted the values needed to make it stable...however can one classify these as phase/gain margins..?
thanks for reply

We normally use gain and phase margins for positive values. If you have negative values for the margins you should compensate the system in order to make it positive.
In most cases a lead compensator can do the job. A lead compensator is a system with a zero near the origin and a pole very far to the LHP. Such a system has a negative phase, so it can stabilize the whole system.

i'll go do some reading up on it . thanks very much

Related to How Can You Calculate the Phase Margin of an Unstable System?

1. What is a control question?

A control question is a question that is used to establish a baseline or standard for comparison in scientific experiments. It is often used to ensure that any observed changes or effects are actually due to the independent variable being tested, rather than other factors.

2. Why is a control question important in scientific research?

A control question is important because it allows for the comparison of results between the experimental group and the control group. This helps to eliminate confounding variables and increases the validity and reliability of the study.

3. How do you choose a control question?

The control question should be similar to the research question but without the independent variable being tested. It should be designed to be unaffected by the experimental manipulation, so that any changes observed can be attributed to the independent variable.

4. Can more than one control question be used in an experiment?

Yes, multiple control questions can be used in an experiment, depending on the complexity of the study. These can include different types of control questions, such as positive and negative controls, to further ensure the accuracy of the results.

5. How do you validate the results from a control question?

The results from a control question should be compared to the expected outcome or existing knowledge in the field. If the results are consistent with these, then the control question has been successfully validated. Additionally, repeating the experiment multiple times with the same control question and obtaining similar results is another way to validate the control question.