How Can You Build a Flying Shoebox for a Physics Project?

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who has been referred to Physics Forums for help with their Flying Shoebox Cargo Project for their Physics class. They are unsure about how to create the project and are seeking ideas. The project involves creating an aircraft with two wings, a horizontal stabilizer, and a vertical stabilizer, and keeping eggs safe during the flight is the main goal of the project.
Clutch
Hey, I was just referred to Physics Forums by a friend. I am not sure if this is in the correct forum, please movie if necessary.

I just received a project for my High School Physics I class.

I have to create a Flying Shoebox Cargo Project.

This is the rubric:
http://xs137.xs.to/xs137/09104/physics_project_p210.jpg
http://xs137.xs.to/xs137/09104/physics_project_2_p300.jpg

I don't understand how to make it... any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's an aircraft, isn't it? You're going to need two wings, a horizontal stabilizer, and a vertical stabilizer.

I'm not going to tell you how to keep the eggs safe, as that seems to be the whole purpose of the project. It looks like it's time to experiment! :smile:

Hello and welcome to Physics Forums!

The Flying Shoebox Cargo Project sounds like a fun and challenging project for your High School Physics class. It's great that you are reaching out for help and guidance on how to approach it.

Based on the rubric provided, it seems like you will need to design and build a shoebox-sized cargo container that can be propelled through the air using only the energy of a rubber band. This will require you to understand and apply concepts such as force, energy, and motion.

To get started, I would recommend breaking down the project into smaller steps. First, think about the basic principles of flight and how they apply to your project. This could include concepts like lift, drag, and thrust. You can then use this knowledge to design your cargo container in a way that maximizes these forces.

Next, consider the materials you will need to construct your container. The rubric mentions using a rubber band for propulsion, but you will also need to think about the weight and aerodynamics of your container. Consider using lightweight materials like foam or balsa wood, and try to shape your container to reduce drag.

Once you have a design in mind, you can start building and testing your prototype. This will likely involve trial and error, so don't be discouraged if your first attempt doesn't work perfectly. Use your observations and data to make adjustments and improvements to your design.

Finally, don't forget to document your process and results according to the rubric. This will not only help you stay organized and on track, but it will also provide valuable information for your final report.

I hope this helps get you started on your project. Remember to have fun and be creative, and don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance if needed. Good luck!

Related to How Can You Build a Flying Shoebox for a Physics Project?

1. What is the "Flying Shoebox Cargo Project"?

The Flying Shoebox Cargo Project is a proposed project that involves the use of small, shoebox-sized drones to transport cargo. These drones would be equipped with advanced navigation and communication systems, allowing them to safely and efficiently deliver goods to remote or hard-to-reach areas.

2. How does the "Flying Shoebox Cargo Project" work?

The Flying Shoebox Cargo Project utilizes a network of drones that operate autonomously. The drones would be programmed with a destination and a payload, and they would use GPS and other sensors to navigate to their destination. They would also communicate with each other and with a central control system to ensure safe and efficient flight.

3. What is the purpose of the "Flying Shoebox Cargo Project"?

The purpose of the Flying Shoebox Cargo Project is to provide a cost-effective and environmentally friendly method of delivering goods to remote or difficult-to-access locations. It aims to reduce the reliance on traditional transportation methods, such as trucks and airplanes, and to provide a more efficient way of transporting goods.

4. What are the potential benefits of the "Flying Shoebox Cargo Project"?

The Flying Shoebox Cargo Project has the potential to bring a variety of benefits, including faster and more efficient delivery of goods, reduced transportation costs, and decreased carbon emissions. It could also provide greater access to essential goods and supplies in remote areas, improving the quality of life for many people.

5. What are the challenges facing the implementation of the "Flying Shoebox Cargo Project"?

There are several challenges that need to be addressed before the Flying Shoebox Cargo Project can be fully implemented. These include developing advanced drone technology and navigation systems, ensuring the safety and security of the drones and their cargo, and addressing any regulatory and logistical hurdles. Additionally, public acceptance and trust in this form of cargo delivery must be established.