How can we simplify this expression involving square roots?

In summary, the given expression can be simplified by using the distributive property and recognizing the properties of square roots. By simplifying, we can break down the expression into smaller parts and ultimately find its value.
Zoey323
\(\displaystyle 4\sqrt{n^{2}}+\sqrt{m^{2}n-\sqrt{4n^{2}}}-\sqrt{mn^{2}}\)
I don't even know where to start, I know the teacher said to distribute but distibute what?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Zoey323 said:
I don't even know where to start, I know the teacher said to distribute but distibute what?
Well, you could start by simplifying \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2}\). What is that?

-Dan

Zoey323 said:

Not necessarily distribute but observe and simplify.

Use facts like

$\sqrt(n^2) = n$ and facts like $\sqrt(4) = 2$

To start you off, notice,

$4\sqrt(n^2) = 4n$

Also remember facts like

$\sqrt(ab) = \sqrt(a)\cdot\sqrt(b)$

If $n$ is known to be non-negative, then we can write:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2}=n\)

Otherwise, we should write by definition:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2}=|n|\)

To simplify this expression, we can first use the properties of square roots to rewrite it as 4n + √(m²n - 2n) - √(mn²). Then, we can distribute the √ symbol to each term inside the parentheses, resulting in 4n + √(m²n) - √(2n) - √(mn²). Using the property of square roots, we can simplify √(m²n) to mn and √(mn²) to √(n²m²) = nm. This leaves us with the simplified expression of 4n + mn - √(2n) - nm.

Related to How can we simplify this expression involving square roots?

1. What is the definition of square root simplifying?

Square root simplifying is the process of finding the simplified or most simplified form of a square root expression. This involves finding the largest perfect square factor of the number or variable under the radical and rewriting it as the square root of that perfect square.

2. Why is it important to simplify square roots?

Simplifying square roots makes calculations easier and more efficient. It also helps in identifying and comparing different square root expressions. In some cases, simplifying square roots can also help in finding the exact value of the expression.

3. What are the basic rules for simplifying square roots?

The basic rules for simplifying square roots include:

• Finding the largest perfect square factor of the number or variable under the radical
  • Writing the square root of that perfect square as the simplified form
  • Removing any perfect squares from the radical sign
  • If there is no perfect square factor, the square root is already in its simplest form

4. Can you provide an example of simplifying a square root?

Yes, for example, to simplify the square root of 24, we first identify the largest perfect square factor, which is 4. Then, we can write the square root of 24 as the square root of 4 multiplied by the square root of 6. The square root of 4 is 2, so the simplified form is 2√6.

5. How can I check if my simplified square root is correct?

You can check if your simplified square root is correct by squaring both the original expression and the simplified expression. If they both give the same result, then your simplified square root is correct. For example, if you simplified the square root of 24 to 2√6, you can check it by squaring 2√6, which gives 24, the same result as squaring √24.