How Can We Minimize Prediction Errors in Binary Variable Analysis?

XZlLCBcIkluIHN1bW1hcnkgLCBcIExldCBZIGJlIGJpbmFyeSB2YXJpYWJsZSBQQihZID0gMSkgPSBQQihZID0gMCkgPSAwLjUgYW5kIFggYSByYW5kb20gdmFyaWFibGUgdW9uIFswLDUpXG5cbkZvciBQQihZID0gMXw0OiBQQihZID0gMCkgPSAxfzU6IFBCKFkgPSAxfzA6IFBCKFkgPSAxKSA9
Luksdoc

Homework Statement

Let Y be binary variable P(Y = 1) = P(Y = 0) = 0.5 and X a random variable uniform on [0,5] when Y = 0 and uniform [4, 9] when Y = 1. Draw mean of X and P(Y = 1|X = x) as functions of x. What is the minimum probability of rejection to predict Y from X without mistake.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Y acts like some "switch", I considered two independant distributions of X given Y: p = 1/5 on [0,5] (for Y = 0) and the other one p = 1/5 on [4,9] (for Y = 1). So two means are: 2.5 (for Y = 0) and 7.5 for (for Y = 1).

For P(Y = 1|X = x):
if X in [0, 4]: P(Y = 1|X = x) = 0
if X in [5, 9]: P(Y = 1|X = x) = 1
if X in [4, 5]: P(Y = 1|X = x) = 0.5

for this "What is the minimum probability of rejection to predict Y from X without mistake." I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Luksdoc said:

Homework Statement

Let Y be binary variable P(Y = 1) = P(Y = 0) = 0.5 and X a random variable uniform on [0,5] when Y = 0 and uniform [4, 9] when Y = 1. Draw mean of X and P(Y = 1|X = x) as functions of x. What is the minimum probability of rejection to predict Y from X without mistake.

Homework Equations

Since Y acts like some "switch", I considered two independent distributions of X given Y: p = 1/5 on [0,5] (for Y = 0) and the other one p = 1/5 on [4,9] (for Y = 1). So two means are: 2.5 (for Y = 0) and 7.5 for (for Y = 1).
I think the problem is asking you for E[X] as a function of x, similar to what you did for P(Y=1|X=x). If x is in [0,4], what is E[X]? And so on.

Luksdoc said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Since Y acts like some "switch", I considered two independant distributions of X given Y: p = 1/5 on [0,5] (for Y = 0) and the other one p = 1/5 on [4,9] (for Y = 1). So two means are: 2.5 (for Y = 0) and 7.5 for (for Y = 1).

For P(Y = 1|X = x):
if X in [0, 4]: P(Y = 1|X = x) = 0
if X in [5, 9]: P(Y = 1|X = x) = 1
if X in [4, 5]: P(Y = 1|X = x) = 0.5

for this "What is the minimum probability of rejection to predict Y from X without mistake." I have no idea.

I don't see any way of predicting Y exactly from X in all cases. If we happen to observe a value of X between 4 and 5, Y is allowed to be 0 or 1, and there is no way to be sure which is correct.

RGV

Related to How Can We Minimize Prediction Errors in Binary Variable Analysis?

What is probability assignment?

Probability assignment is a process of assigning numerical values to different outcomes or events in order to represent the likelihood of their occurrence. It is used to quantify the uncertainty in a given situation and helps in making informed decisions.

What is the difference between probability assignment and probability estimation?

The main difference between probability assignment and probability estimation is that probability assignment involves assigning specific numerical values to outcomes or events, while probability estimation involves determining the likelihood of an event based on available data or information.

How is probability assignment used in scientific research?

Probability assignment is used in scientific research to determine the likelihood of different outcomes or events in a given experiment or study. It helps in making predictions and drawing conclusions based on the collected data.

What are some common methods used for probability assignment?

Some common methods used for probability assignment include mathematical formulas, statistical models, and simulations. These methods help in assigning numerical values to events or outcomes based on the available data and information.

What are the limitations of probability assignment?

Probability assignment is based on assumptions and may not always accurately represent the true likelihood of an event. It is also limited by the quality and quantity of data available, as well as the chosen method of assignment. Additionally, probability assignment cannot predict rare or unforeseen events.