How can we iteratively create sublists from a list based on a sum threshold?

• Python
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation was about how to perform operations on a list of numbers and create sublists based on a given threshold. A possible solution using PHP was provided, but the language can be converted to Python as an exercise for the original poster.
member 428835
Hello PF!

Initializing with an empty list [], how would we perform the operations [[1]] and then [[1,2]] then [[1,2,3]] then [[1,2,3],[2]] then [[1,2,3], [2,4]] then [[1,2,3],[2,4],[1]] and so on. I'm trying to do this iteratively, so within a for-loop. Basically, given a list of numbers [1,2,3,2,4,1] add them to a sublist until the sum of values of that sublist exceeds a threshold, in which case create a new sublist. I've no clue how to do this, and have googled but to no avail

Technology news on Phys.org
You didn't specified a language, but in PHP:

PHP:
<?php
function makeList($numbers, $threshold){
    $list = [];
    $sublist = [];
    $total = 0;

foreach($numbers as $number){
        $sublist[] = $number;
        $total += $number;

if($total > $threshold){
            $list[] = $sublist;
            $total = 0;
            $sublist = [];       
        }
    }

if(!empty($sublist)){
        $list[] = $sublist;
    }

return $list;
}

$numbers = [1,2,3,2,4,1];
$threshold = 5;

var_dump(makeList($numbers, $threshold));

Output:

Code:
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(3) {
    [0]=>
    int(1)
    [1]=>
    int(2)
    [2]=>
    int(3)
  }
  [1]=>
  array(2) {
    [0]=>
    int(2)
    [1]=>
    int(4)
  }
  [2]=>
  array(1) {
    [0]=>
    int(1)
  }
}

jack action said:
You didn't specified a language
It's in the thread title -- Python.

Likes jack action
Mark44 said:
It's in the thread title -- Python.
Then it will be left as an exercise for the OP to convert it!

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
jack action said:
Then it will be left as an exercise for the OP to convert it!
I wonder how many teachers have gotten that response from their students.

Likes jack action
Got it, thanks for the suggestion!

Related to How can we iteratively create sublists from a list based on a sum threshold?

1. How do I create a sublist from a list in Python?

To create a sublist from a list in Python, you can use the slice operator [ ] or the slice function. The syntax for creating a sublist using the slice operator is list_name[start_index:end_index], where the start_index is the index of the first element you want to include and the end_index is the index of the element after the last element you want to include. The syntax for creating a sublist using the slice function is slice(start_index, end_index).

2. Can I create a sublist from a list in other programming languages?

Yes, you can create a sublist from a list in other programming languages such as Java, C++, and JavaScript. Each language may have different syntax and methods for creating a sublist, but the concept is the same. You can use the slice operator or a similar function to specify the start and end index of the sublist.

3. How can I create a sublist with specific elements from a list?

To create a sublist with specific elements from a list, you can use the slice operator or the slice function and specify the indices of the elements you want to include. For example, if you have a list of numbers and you only want to include the first three elements in the sublist, you can use the syntax list_name[0:3] or slice(0,3). This will create a sublist with the first three elements of the original list.

4. Can I create a sublist with elements from a list that meet certain criteria?

Yes, you can create a sublist with elements from a list that meet certain criteria by using conditional statements or filter functions. For example, if you have a list of numbers and you only want to include the even numbers in the sublist, you can use a conditional statement or the filter function to only include elements that are divisible by 2.

5. What is the benefit of creating a sublist from a list?

The benefit of creating a sublist from a list is that it allows you to manipulate and work with a smaller portion of the original list, making it easier to perform specific tasks or operations. It can also help with organizing and structuring data in a more manageable way.