How can we calculate the average power of a conventional AM signal?

In summary: The other terms are also approx. constant (the first term is constant; the second term varies slowly) and the average is A^2 k^2 <m^2>/2 as well. Hence their product is (A^2 k^2 <m^2>/2)^2. So the result is A^4 k^4 <m^4>. That's the justification for the prof's notes. The problem was poorly stated. There are other assumptions as well that should have been mentioned. The derivation is not rigorous. But it's correct. Hope this helps. Cheers.In summary, the calculation of the Conventional AM average transmitted power involves rewriting the modulated signal
Dina Khaled

Homework Statement

Trying to calculate Conventional AM average transmitted power of the modulated signal
s(t) = A (1+ka m(t) ) cos(2∏f t)
where
A: carrier amplitude
ka: amplitude sensitivity
m(t) : message signal
f: Carrier frequency

my professor's lecture notes calculate the average power as
0.5 A2( 1+< ka2 m2(t)>)
where <.> is the time average.

Homework Equations

Average Power (for periodic Signals) = 1/T (∫0T x2(t) dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

average power for cos(2∏ft) =0.5
but applying the Average power rule I can't get this integral to be equal to the formula my professor's got!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite s(t) as A km(t)cos(wt) + Acos(wt), w = 2 pi f.
Then do s^2(t). Hint: as you will recall, (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2.

So making the appropriate substitutions for a and b,
avg{s(t)^2} = avg(a^2) + avg(2ab) + avg(b^2).
Etc.

Last edited:
so avg{s(t)^2} = avg{A^2 k^2 m(t)^2 cos^2(wt)} + avg{2A^2 k m(t)cos^2(wt)}+avg{A^2 cos^2(wt)}
still who says avg{A^2 k^2 m(t)^2 cos^2(wt)} = avg{cos^2(wt)} * avg{A^2 k^2 m(t)}

Dina Khaled said:
so avg{s(t)^2} = avg{A^2 k^2 m(t)^2 cos^2(wt)} + avg{2A^2 k m(t)cos^2(wt)}+avg{A^2 cos^2(wt)}
still who says avg{A^2 k^2 m(t)^2 cos^2(wt)} = avg{cos^2(wt)} * avg{A^2 k^2 m(t)}

Excellent question! The answer is that f(t) is assumed to be slowly-varying compared to cos(wt), and that the avergage of f(t) = 0. This is certainly the case in "ordinary" AM where f(t) is limited to a few sinusoidal (zero-avg.) KHz whereas w = 2 pi*1 MHz typical.

The prof should have stated this for you IMO.

Well, he did state that assumption, although what I understand is that the assumption that the average of the message is 0 means we will neglect the term avg{2A^2 k m(t)cos^2(wt)}.
However,my question is
if ∫ ab is not equal to ∫a ∫ b
then how come average(ab) = average(a) average(b)
Thanks !

Dina Khaled said:
Well, he did state that assumption, although what I understand is that the assumption that the average of the message is 0 means we will neglect the term avg{2A^2 k m(t)cos^2(wt)}.

Right.

However,my question is
if ∫ ab is not equal to ∫a ∫ b
then how come average(ab) = average(a) average(b)
Thanks !

Are you referring to the third term 2ab or the term A^2 k^2 m^2(t) cos^2(wt)? I'll assume the latter since you seem to agree that the 2ab term disappears. The answer is that m(t) varies slowly compared to cos(wt) so m(t) is approx. constant over 1 cycle of cos(wt) and so that term average boils down to A^2 k^2 <m^2>/2.

Likes 1 person

Related to How can we calculate the average power of a conventional AM signal?

1. What is conventional AM average power?

Conventional AM average power refers to the average power of an amplitude modulated radio signal. It is calculated by taking the square of the amplitude of the signal and then taking the average of those values over a specific time period.

2. How is conventional AM average power measured?

Conventional AM average power is typically measured using a power meter or spectrum analyzer. These devices can accurately measure the power output of a radio transmitter and calculate the average power over a given time period.

3. What factors affect conventional AM average power?

The main factors that affect conventional AM average power include the amplitude of the transmitted signal, the modulation depth, and the bandwidth of the signal. Other factors such as antenna efficiency and environmental conditions can also have an impact.

4. Why is conventional AM average power important?

Conventional AM average power is important for several reasons. It is used to determine the strength and quality of a radio signal, which is crucial for communication and broadcasting. It also helps to ensure that the signal is within regulatory limits and does not cause interference with other radio signals.

5. Can conventional AM average power be increased?

Yes, conventional AM average power can be increased by increasing the amplitude of the transmitted signal or by increasing the modulation depth. However, this may also result in a higher risk of interference and may require adjustments to be made to meet regulatory requirements.