How can we afford space tourism without discounts and referrals?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of human powered flight and the potential for it to be achieved on the moon due to its 1/6 gravity. The idea of space elevators is also mentioned as a possible solution. The group also discusses a project that needs to be operational by 2010 with specific requirements, including a ticket price of less than $20M. Some joking comments are made about saving up for the ticket and working at bars to help pay for it.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This thread is intended for any discussions or the answering of any questions relating to this thread.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
One of the most enticing ideas that I have heard mentioned is that of human powered flight. The discussion I heard involved plans [involving a Japanese Hotel Company] for lunar games. The suggestion is that due to the 1/6 gravity, a large arena could be built on the moon in which a person could fly like a bird. This would be a little different that weightlessness; and surely it has its own appeal.

Also, we all know that for any practical system the launch must be much less exciting than now. More like a 4 or 3 than a 1.

I am betting on space elevators as the best solution.

Sounds cool.

Way outside of the project I'm working on's scope, but cool nonetheless.

This http://www.aiaa.org/education/students/2003-2004SpaceTransRFP.doc needs to be operational by 2010.

At least 5 passengers, at least 2 crew, at least 250km up, at least 2 orbits, less than $20M per ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by enigma
less than $20M per ticket.

Um, I don't think Tsunami and I can save up 40M in three years.

I said LESS than! Less than!

You only need $39.95M

Originally posted by enigma
You only need $39.95M

Oh good! That will work.

Tsunami, your going to have to start working the bars again to help pay for this.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Oh good! That will work.

Tsunami, your going to have to start working the bars again to help pay for this.
OK, dear. Same plan? You work your side of town and I work mine? And don't go giving your 10% discount for referrals again! I can't afford that!

Related to How can we afford space tourism without discounts and referrals?

What is space tourism?

Space tourism refers to the concept of traveling to space for leisure and recreational purposes. It involves paying a significant amount of money to experience spaceflight and potentially visit other celestial bodies.

How does space tourism work?

Space tourism typically involves booking a flight with a private space company that has the capability to send humans to space. The details of the experience may vary, but generally, tourists will undergo training and preparation before the flight and then launch into space on a spacecraft. They may spend a few days in orbit or visit a space station before returning to Earth.

Who can go on a space tourism trip?

Currently, only individuals who meet certain physical and health requirements and have the financial means are able to go on a space tourism trip. However, as technology advances and costs decrease, it is possible that space tourism may become more accessible to the general public in the future.

What are the potential risks of space tourism?

Space tourism is still in its early stages, and there are a number of risks and challenges associated with it. These may include the potential for accidents during launch or in space, exposure to radiation, and the effects of microgravity on the human body. However, with careful planning and advancements in technology, these risks can be minimized.

What are the potential benefits of space tourism?

Space tourism has the potential to bring about numerous benefits, both for individuals and for society as a whole. It can inspire interest and excitement in space exploration, provide opportunities for scientific research, and potentially lead to advancements in technology. It can also create new jobs and economic opportunities in the space industry.