How can this French teacher improve their physics homework on tides?

In summary, a French teacher teaching physics in English requested corrections and suggestions for improvement on a work about tides. A native English speaker reviewed the work and found it to be almost perfect, with the only minor suggestion being to use a different verb in one sentence. Overall, no major corrections were needed and the work was easily understood.
lesieux

Homework Statement

Hello, I am a French teacher who teaches physics in English. I've proposed to my pupils this work about the tides.http://vfsilesieux.free.fr/2deeuro/Thetides.html"
I would very much enjoy any kind of correction (vocabulary, grammar, ideas) to improve the quality of this work (questions + corrections).
Thanks in advance for your help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It would certainly benefit from the inspection of a native English scientific eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Lesieux,

i am a native English speaker, and I read over your link on the tides. I found it to be almost perfect, and had difficulty suggesting any improvements. The only thing i could find (and this is a very minor point), is that I would typically not use the verb "to stand" in the way you used it in the description of the inverse square law. I would just say, "if an object is two times closer to the moon, it will experience a gravitational force one-fourth as large. However, there is nothing wrong with it the way you wrote it, and I had no trouble understanding it.

Thank you

Related to How can this French teacher improve their physics homework on tides?

What are tides?

Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the Earth's oceans.

How are tides formed?

Tides are formed by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the Earth's oceans. The moon's gravitational pull is stronger because it is closer to the Earth, causing the water on the side closest to the moon to bulge. This creates high tide. On the opposite side of the Earth, there is also high tide due to the force of the moon pulling the Earth away from the water. The areas in between experience low tide.

What causes the different types of tides?

The different types of tides, such as spring tides and neap tides, are caused by the alignment of the sun, moon, and Earth. Spring tides occur when the sun, moon, and Earth are aligned, creating higher high tides and lower low tides. Neap tides occur when the sun and moon are at a right angle to each other, resulting in lower high tides and higher low tides.

How often do tides occur?

Tides occur twice a day, every day. This is due to the rotation of the Earth and the gravitational pull of the moon and sun. The time between high tides is approximately 12 hours and 25 minutes.

How do tides affect marine life and coastal areas?

Tides can greatly impact marine life and coastal areas. High tides can bring in nutrients and food for marine animals, while low tides can expose them to predators or leave them stranded. Coastal areas can also experience erosion and flooding during high tides, which can affect human activities and infrastructure.