How can the time it takes for a hoop to roll up an incline be calculated?

In summary: How long did it take to go the distance up the ramp? .5 seconds. Therefore, the time it took to go the full distance was .8 seconds.
gillyr2

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder (hoop) is rolling on a horizontal surface at speed v = 3.8 m/s when it reaches a 14^\circ incline. how far up the incline will it go

Homework Equations

mgH = .5mv^2 + .5Iw^2
v=sqrt(10/7 *g * H)

The Attempt at a Solution

i need to solve for time, the distance is equal to 6.1 m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gillyr2 said:

Homework Equations

mgH = .5mv^2 + .5Iw^2
This is the one you need.
v=sqrt(10/7 *g * H)
Where does this come from?

i canceled the m's and solved for v. where .5Iw^2 = 1/5 * Mv^2

i know the height = sin(14)*distance

gillyr2 said:
where .5Iw^2 = 1/5 * Mv^2
Why do you think this? What's I?

I = 2/5 M R^2
w = v/R

.5 (2/5 M R^2) (v/R)^2 = .5 Iw^2

oh ok i figured it out i was doing the sphere instead of hoop.
for the time can we use x = vt + .5gt^2 ?

v=gsin(14)t

how exactly are we suppose to find the time without the decelleration?

Try

a=(2/3)*g*sin(14)

When you are solving the problem using energy, which is what you're doing, there is no need to look at time. Why do you need the time? Aren't you looking for the distance up the ramp?

i already found the distance up the ramp, but the next part is to find the time is took to get up and down the ramp and I am not sure how.

Oh, OK. Try thinking about it as a rotational kinematics problem. So you want to find [tex]\alpha[/tex], not a.

yes i have been looking for alpha but I am not sure how.

am i suppose to use alpha = w^2/2pheta

i can't get it. can someone help please/

i have

w = v/R

and

alpha = w^2/2pheta

.5(m)(v^2) + (.5)(m)(v^2) = mgh
therefore: (.5)(3.8^2) + (.5)(3.8^2) = (9.8)(h)
h ends up being 1.5 and when you divide it by sin(14) to get the hypotenuse, the answer is 6.1 up the ramp.

i don't know about the second part

.5(m)(v^2) + (.5)(m)(v^2) = mgh
(.5)(3.8^2) + (.5)(3.8^2) = (9.8)(h)
h ends up being 1.5 and when you divide it by sin(14) to get the hypotenuse, the answer is 6.1m up the ramp.

Make it a torque problem. What torque(s) are slowing down the hoop? What is a good axis of rotation to choose? (Hint - don't choose the center of the hoop as your axis)

gillyr2 said:
i already found the distance up the ramp, but the next part is to find the time is took to get up and down the ramp and I am not sure how.
You have the initial and final speeds and the distance (from the first part). To find the time, just use: Distance = average speed X time. What's the average speed?

Related to How can the time it takes for a hoop to roll up an incline be calculated?

What is hoop rolling up an incline?

Hoop rolling up an incline is an experiment that involves rolling a hoop up an inclined plane or ramp to observe its motion and behavior.

What is the purpose of studying hoop rolling up an incline?

The purpose of studying hoop rolling up an incline is to better understand the principles of motion and energy conservation, as well as to apply these concepts to real-life situations.

How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the hoop?

The angle of the incline plays a significant role in the motion of the hoop. As the angle increases, the hoop will accelerate faster and reach a higher velocity. However, if the angle is too steep, the hoop may roll back down the incline due to gravity.

What factors can affect the motion of the hoop during the experiment?

The motion of the hoop can be affected by various factors, such as the angle of the incline, the mass and size of the hoop, the surface of the ramp, and the initial force applied to the hoop.

What are some real-life applications of hoop rolling up an incline?

Hoop rolling up an incline has many real-life applications, such as understanding the motion of rolling objects like wheels and gears, designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, and studying the movement of objects on inclined surfaces, such as cars driving up a hill.