How Can the Temperature of Heat Energy from Water Formation Be Measured?

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of water and heat through the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen. The speaker is inquiring about how to measure the temperature of the heat energy produced. They mention having the heat capacity and mass of the reactants, but are unsure of how to use them to calculate the heat energy. The responder suggests using the heat capacity of water and determining the starting temperature of the reactants to calculate the heat energy.
Butterfly_grl
If I have amount of hydrogen and Oxygen combined together after a reaction it will produce water and heat. How can I measure the temperature of this heat energy?

Now.I have
1) heat capacity (Cth) of H2 and O2.
2) the mass (m) of H2 and O2 combined together (in moles and grams)
3) Heat energy (Qth) of this process

I tried

Qth = m Cth + delta (tC)

but that just gives me the difference in temperature ...

Could you please explain if I have something missing and Could you illustrate with an example.

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The reactants 2H2 + O2 combine to form the product 2H2O. So one would need the heat capacity of H2O.

What is the starting temperature of the H2 and O2?

Q = m cP ∆T, where ∆T = Tf - Ti.

I understand your question and I will do my best to provide a response. First, let's define some key terms to make sure we are on the same page. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of a substance, while heat energy is the total amount of energy transferred due to a temperature difference. In your example, the heat energy is being produced by the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen, resulting in the formation of water.

To measure the temperature of the heat energy produced in this reaction, you would need to use a thermometer. This device measures the temperature of a substance by detecting changes in the volume or pressure of a liquid or gas. However, it is important to note that the temperature measured by a thermometer may not be the same as the actual heat energy produced by the reaction. This is because the heat capacity (Cth) of a substance, which you have mentioned in your question, can affect the temperature change.

The equation you have used, Qth = m Cth + delta (tC), is known as the heat equation and is used to calculate the amount of heat energy transferred during a process. In this case, m represents the mass of the reactants (hydrogen and oxygen) and delta (tC) represents the change in temperature. However, this equation does not take into account the heat capacity of the substances involved, which can affect the temperature change.

To illustrate this, let's say we have 1 mole of hydrogen (H2) and 1 mole of oxygen (O2) reacting to form 2 moles of water (H2O). The heat capacity of H2 is 28.8 J/mol K and the heat capacity of O2 is 29.4 J/mol K. Using the heat equation, we can calculate the heat energy produced by this reaction:

Qth = (1 mol H2 + 1 mol O2) * (28.8 J/mol K + 29.4 J/mol K) * delta (tC)

= 58.2 J/mol K * delta (tC)

If we assume that the temperature change (delta (tC)) is 10 degrees Celsius, then the heat energy produced would be 582 J. However, if we take into account the heat capacity of the resulting water (75.3 J/mol K), the actual temperature change would be slightly lower than 10 degrees Celsius. This is because some of the heat energy produced

Related to How Can the Temperature of Heat Energy from Water Formation Be Measured?

1. What is the difference between temperature and heat energy?

Temperature refers to the measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules in a substance, while heat energy refers to the total amount of energy present in a substance due to the movement of its molecules.

2. How is temperature measured?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, which contains a liquid (such as mercury or alcohol) that expands or contracts based on the temperature. The scale used to measure temperature can vary, but the most commonly used scales are Fahrenheit, Celsius, and Kelvin.

3. How does heat energy transfer between objects?

Heat energy can transfer between objects through three processes: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids (liquids or gases). Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. How does temperature affect the properties of a substance?

Temperature can affect the physical properties of a substance, such as its density, viscosity, and state (solid, liquid, or gas). It can also affect chemical reactions, as an increase in temperature can speed up the rate of a reaction.

5. What is the relationship between temperature and heat energy?

Temperature and heat energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the temperature of a substance increases, so does its heat energy. However, the specific heat capacity of a substance can also affect the amount of heat energy needed to change its temperature.