How can the normality of a subgroup be proven when the group has a finite index?

In summary: What you want to do is show that gG(m)=(a'+I)g. You can do this by showing that every matrix in G(m) has a determinant that is a multiple of m.
VoleMeister
Having trouble with a couple of algebra questions and would really appreciate any hints or pointers.

1. A is a subgroup of group G with a finite index. Show that
[tex]N = \bigcap_{x \in G}x^{-1}Ax[/tex]
is a normal subgroup of finite index in G.

I'm able to show that N is a subgroup of G by applying the subgroup test. Thing is, I'm not sure how to prove that it's a normal subgroup. It seems that the fact that A is of finite index should play into it somehow.

2. Let [tex]G = GL(n,\mathbb{Z})[/tex] for [tex]n \ge 2[/tex]. Define the n-th converge subgroup, G(m), as [tex]G(m) = \left\{A \in G : A\equiv I_n\mod m\right\}[/tex].
Show that G(m) is a normal subgroup.

Tried thinking of this as x^-1yx where x is just a GL matrix and y is one of G(m) and trying to show that this product is one of G(m). Wrote some formulas for individual entries of the product matrix, but doesn't seem to work in terms of guaranteeing that each non-diagonal entry is a multiple of m, and every digonal entry is a multiple of m and with an extra 1. Although perhaps it's just that this gets somewhat messy and I made some silly mistake somewhere.

Thanks in advance. Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. if y is in N, is x^-1yx?

2. It seems clear to me that (AB) mod m (I presume m is an integer, and mod m means take the entries mod m) is equal to (A mod m)(B mod m) mod m, since multiplication is just addition and multiplication of the entires of A and B. So normality is straightforward in 2. I think your method does work, though it is messy. If you want another way to think about it, A=I mod m means that A=I+A', and A' is a matrix where every entry is divisible by m. That should be easier to visualize, and for you to prove it directly. You should at least show that the set of matrices {B:B=0 mod m} is an ideal.

Thanks for your help. The hint for the first one was a good step in the right direction.

One the second one, I've made progress, but I could use a bit of clarification on two points.
-First, to show that G(m) is a subgroup of G one of the things I need to do is show that if A is in G(m) then its inverse is also in G(m). I'm having trouble proving that point.
-Secondly, I tried going about proving normality in the most conventional manner showing that gG(m)=G(m)g (for all g belonging to G). In other terms, for all g belonging to G and for all a belonging to G(m), ga=ag. Thus, g(a'+I)=(a'+I)g. This simplifies to ga'=a'g, but this isn't true in general for matrices. Where am I going wrong?

You're going wrong becuase you're not reducing mod m. You're not supposed to show what you're trying to show - remember the group G(m) is, or ought to be, with multiplication mod m too.

Related to How can the normality of a subgroup be proven when the group has a finite index?

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that if an element from the larger group is multiplied on the left and right by an element from the normal subgroup, the result will still be in the normal subgroup.

2. How is a normal subgroup different from a regular subgroup?

A regular subgroup is any subgroup of a group, while a normal subgroup has the additional property of being invariant under conjugation. This means that normal subgroups are a special type of subgroup that have more structure and properties than regular subgroups.

3. What is the significance of normal subgroups in group theory?

Normal subgroups play a crucial role in group theory as they allow for the definition of quotient groups, which are used to study the structure and properties of groups. Normal subgroups also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra and geometry.

4. How can one determine if a subgroup is normal?

One way to determine if a subgroup is normal is by checking if it is invariant under conjugation. This can be done by multiplying elements of the subgroup on the left and right by elements of the larger group and seeing if the resulting elements are still in the subgroup. Additionally, there are certain criteria and theorems that can be used to determine if a subgroup is normal.

5. Can a group have more than one normal subgroup?

Yes, a group can have multiple normal subgroups. In fact, every group has at least two normal subgroups: the trivial subgroup (containing only the identity element) and the entire group itself. However, not all subgroups of a group are normal subgroups, so a group may have more regular subgroups than normal subgroups.