How can the log in the denominator of the charging equation be simplified?

In summary, the conversation was about verifying basic algebraic manipulation skills by solving the charging equation of a simple RC circuit for capacitance. The solution was C = (-t)/(R*ln((v_s - v(t))/v_s)), and the log in the denominator can also be simplified using the principle ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b).
Dr. Ficus

Homework Statement

Basically, I'm just trying to verify that I can do basic algebraic manipulation correctly. The objective: solve the charging equation of a simple RC circuit for (C), capacitance.

Homework Equations

[tex] v\left(t\right)={v}_{s}\left(1-{e}^{{-t}/{RC}}\right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I ended up with the following.
[tex] C=\frac{-t}{R\mathrm{ln}\left(\frac{{v}_{s}-{v}_{\left(t\right)}}{{v}_{s}}\right)} [/tex]
Is this correct? Also, I have a suspicion that the log in the denominator can somehow be simplified more than just putting [tex] \mathrm{ln}\left(1-\frac{v\left(t\right)}{{v}_{s}}\right) [/tex] but I can't think of how. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct. You can, if you so prefer, use the principle
[tex]\ln(\frac{a}{b})=\ln a - \ln b[/tex]
for the log in the denominator.

Related to How can the log in the denominator of the charging equation be simplified?

1. What is the RC charging equation?

The RC charging equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the voltage across a capacitor as it charges through a resistor. It is also known as the time constant formula and is given by V = V0(1-e-t/RC), where V is the voltage at time t, V0 is the initial voltage, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

2. How is the RC charging equation derived?

The RC charging equation can be derived from the basic principles of electric circuits and the equations governing the charging and discharging of a capacitor. It can also be derived using differential equations and the concept of time constants.

3. What is the significance of the time constant in the RC charging equation?

The time constant (RC) in the RC charging equation represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to approximately 63% of its maximum voltage. It is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges and is determined by the product of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit.

4. Can the RC charging equation be used for discharging a capacitor?

Yes, the RC charging equation can be used for both charging and discharging a capacitor. When discharging, the equation is given by V = V0e-t/RC, where V is the voltage at time t and V0 is the initial voltage.

5. Are there any limitations to using the RC charging equation?

The RC charging equation assumes that the capacitor is ideal and does not take into account factors such as leakage resistance and parasitic capacitance. It also assumes a constant voltage source and linear charging behavior, which may not always be the case in practical circuits. Therefore, it is important to use the equation with caution and consider the limitations in specific scenarios.