How can the Higgs boson have mass?

In summary: I didn't know that. Makes sense.Thank you for your time!In summary, the higgs particle is not what gives mass to other particles, it is the vacuum expectation value of the higgs field which does.
Natskyge
So this may be just me being stupid.

Anyway, so i was reading about the higgs and i read it has been found in LHC to have a mass of 125 Gev, according to their expriments. Now here comes what i don't understand, how can the particle that gives mass have mass, and wouldn't that cause the higgs field to collaps in on it self due to its own mass?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
As you can imagine, this is a very technical issue and it is very difficult to make good analogies at B level. Questions such as "how can A give B?" are by nature going to be best answered on a rechnical level, but you would first need to understand the framework and how it predicts things to work. Only then can you adequately get your question answered.

That being said, you are likely to have some sort of mental image of the process. In order to address that, you would have to be more specific on why you would not expect the Higgs to give mass to itself.

Also, in the end, it is not the Higgs boson which gives mass to other particles, it is the vacuum expectation value of the Higgs field which does. Making an analogy to a pond, the vacuum expectation value is the depth and the particles are ripples on the surface.

Well i have read some books on the matter.

It just confused me how the higgs can have mass, which it gets from it self. My thinking is that would make it gain more and more mass and eventualy clump together, like normal matter.

Natskyge said:
Well i have read some books on the matter.

It just confused me how the higgs can have mass, which it gets from it self. My thinking is that would make it gain more and more mass and eventualy clump together, like normal matter.
This is simply not how the subatomic world works. You cannot think of Higgs particles as little balls sticking to things and thereby giving them mass. And again, it is not the Higgs particle which gives mass to other particles, it is the vacuum expectation value.

Ah okay, sorry.

Looks like i have some reading to do.

So the higgs particle is not what gives mass, just a particle that appears when you disturb the higgs field? Like virtual particles?

No, like normal particles. All particles are essentially disturbances in their respective fields. What sets the Higgs field apart is that it can have a non-zero value in its lowest energy state. It is this non-zero value which results in giving mass to particles.

Ah okay, thanks!

Related to How can the Higgs boson have mass?

1. How was the Higgs boson discovered?

The Higgs boson was discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research. Scientists at the LHC used particle accelerators to smash protons together at high speeds, creating conditions similar to those present in the early universe. The resulting data showed evidence of a new particle, which was later confirmed to be the Higgs boson.

2. How does the Higgs boson give mass to other particles?

The Higgs boson is associated with the Higgs field, a theoretical field that permeates all of space. Particles interact with this field and acquire mass through a process known as the Higgs mechanism. As particles move through the Higgs field, they experience resistance which gives them mass.

3. Why is the Higgs boson important in understanding the origin of the universe?

The Higgs boson is important in understanding the origin of the universe because it is believed to be responsible for the existence of mass in the universe. Without mass, particles would not have been able to come together to form the structures we see today, such as galaxies and stars. The discovery of the Higgs boson helps to confirm our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that govern the universe.

4. How does the mass of the Higgs boson affect the stability of the universe?

The mass of the Higgs boson plays a crucial role in the stability of the universe. If the mass of the Higgs boson were different, it could significantly alter the behavior of other particles and potentially lead to a very different universe. The fact that the Higgs boson has a relatively low mass, as confirmed by experiments at the LHC, is one of the reasons why our universe is able to exist in its current form.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Higgs boson?

While the discovery of the Higgs boson has not yet led to any practical applications, it has greatly advanced our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. This knowledge could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as energy and medicine in the future.