How can the energy absorbed by the water be more than the energy output?

• Thread starter lnvoker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percent
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat energy absorbed by water in a kettle. The heating element of the kettle has a resistance of 10 ohms and is plugged into a 110V outlet. When heating water, only 75% of the energy produced is actually absorbed by the water. The conversation explores different equations and methods for calculating the energy output and absorption by the water, with the final conclusion being that the teacher may have made a mistake in his calculation.
lnvoker

Homework Statement

The heating element in a kettle has a resistance of 10 ohms when it is plugged into a 110V outlet. When heating water, only 75% of the energy produced is actually absorbed by the water. How much heat energy does the water absorb if it takes 4 minutes to boil the water?

Homework Equations

V = IR
P = VI
Percent Efficiency = Useful Energy Output / Total Electrical Output

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Finding Energy Produced by Kettle

I = V / R
I = 11a

P = VI
=110 x 11
=1210 w

290 400 j (1210 x 60 x 4) of energy produced in 4 minutes
290 400j x 0.75
=217 800j / 3600
=60.5 watt hours is absorb by the water.

However, my teacher wrote this on the board:

E = V x I x t
=110 x 11 x 240 (4 minutes in seconds)
=80 2/3 watt hours (output)

% Efficiency = Useful Energy Output / Total Electrical Input
75% = 80 2/3 / Total Electrical Energy Input
E = 80 2/3 divided by 0.75
E absorbed by water = 108 watt hours

His answer confuses me... how could the energy absorbed by the water be more then the energy output?

Please help, have a "quest" on this tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Teachers do make mistakes! He should have multiplied by .75 instead of dividing.

I think you make a fair point & I agree with your way

the energy absorbed by the water should not be more then the energy output...

Related to How can the energy absorbed by the water be more than the energy output?

1. What is the definition of percent efficiency?

Percent efficiency is a measurement of how well a process or system converts input energy into useful output energy. It is expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% (no energy conversion) to 100% (perfect energy conversion).

2. How is percent efficiency calculated?

Percent efficiency is calculated by dividing the useful output energy by the total input energy and multiplying by 100%. The formula is: Efficiency = (Useful output energy / Total input energy) * 100%

3. What factors can affect percent efficiency?

Percent efficiency can be affected by a variety of factors, including the design and condition of the system, the quality of the input energy, and any external factors that may impact the process. Friction, heat loss, and resistance are common factors that can decrease efficiency.

4. Can percent efficiency be greater than 100%?

No, it is not possible for percent efficiency to be greater than 100%. This would imply a system that produces more energy than it consumes, which goes against the laws of thermodynamics. However, it is possible for the efficiency to approach 100% in highly optimized systems.

5. How can percent efficiency be improved?

There are various ways to improve percent efficiency, such as reducing friction and heat loss, increasing the quality of input energy, and optimizing the design and maintenance of the system. It is also important to regularly monitor and analyze the efficiency to identify areas for improvement.