How can the endless square root problem be solved?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an infinite sequence of square roots and its solution using a quadratic equation. It is mentioned that the convergence of the sequence must be proven before using algebraic manipulations. The use of fixed point theorems and the Monotonic Sequence Theorem are suggested for proving convergence. Another example with no known closed-form solution is also mentioned.
Chirag B
I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out how exactly to do this.

Prove that [itex]\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\cdots}}}}} = \frac{1\pm\sqrt{4n+1}}{2}[/itex].

How exactly does one go about doing this? I mean, I understand it goes on infinitely, but doesn't that create an infinitely large number? Why would the number be so precise?

Also, it appears to be the solution of a quadratic equation (with the [itex]\pm[/itex] and all). Is that an approach? If so, how does one derive such a quadratic equation?

I tried working backwards, but when I do, all I get is that [itex]\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\cdots}}}} = \frac{1\pm\sqrt{4n+1}}{2}[/itex].

There's one less [itex]n[/itex] in the square root, but I still end up getting the same equation. Can this process by repeated infinitely until I get [itex]\sqrt{n} = \frac{1\pm\sqrt{4n+1}}{2}[/itex]? But this isn't true! Can someone help me?

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the trick:

Let [itex]x=\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+...}}}[/itex]

Then [itex]x^2-n=\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+...}}}[/itex]

So [itex]x^2-n=x[/itex].

This is a quadratic equation which you can solve.

Note, I did not take into consideration any convergence issues here.

Ah, that's a neat trick. So you would have to think a little outside of the square root, if you get what I mean. :-p

Thanks!

If you want to solve the problem carefully, you have to prove that the sequence
[itex] \sqrt{n},\ \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}},\ \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}}},...[/itex] converges before you can start doing algebraic manipulations

Otherwise you could have something like [itex] x=n+n+n+...[/itex], and get x=x+n. Since n is arbitrary we get that n=0 always, which isn't true, and the mistake was assuming that we had a number to begin with

Office_Shredder said:
If you want to solve the problem carefully, you have to prove that the sequence
[itex] \sqrt{n},\ \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}},\ \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}}},...[/itex] converges before you can start doing algebraic manipulations

Otherwise you could have something like [itex] x=n+n+n+...[/itex], and get x=x+n. Since n is arbitrary we get that n=0 always, which isn't true, and the mistake was assuming that we had a number to begin with
I think an appropriate fixed point theorem is what's needed to sort out the convergence issues.

lugita15 said:
I think an appropriate fixed point theorem is what's needed to sort out the convergence issues.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Fixed Point Theorems. However, I am familiar with rudimentary sequences/series. Would I have to prove the convergence of the sequence as Office_Shredder has suggested, and only then use the formula that micromass gets? Thank you in advance.

Try this one instead:
[tex]
\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{3 + \ldots}}} = ?
[/tex]

:smile:

How devious! That expression has no known closed-form.

Chirag B said:
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Fixed Point Theorems. However, I am familiar with rudimentary sequences/series. Would I have to prove the convergence of the sequence as Office_Shredder has suggested, and only then use the formula that micromass gets? Thank you in advance.

That's the standard procedure. Most examples where you get a simple polynomial for the limit wool converge because that's the point, but I have once or twice in real life scenarios seen sequences where you can find a" limit" but the sequence doesn't actually converge.

Typically you prove these converge by showing they're cauchy (hard), or by proving they're monotone and bounded (easier to prove if it's true)

Office_Shredder said:
Typically you prove these converge by showing they're cauchy (hard), or by proving they're monotone and bounded (easier to prove if it's true)

So I would have to use the Monotonic Sequence Theorem, I take it?

Chirag B said:
So I would have to use the Monotonic Sequence Theorem, I take it?
Yes, here you can use the fact that for real numbers, a monotone bounded sequence is convergent. But for general problems of this type, your sequence may not be monotone, so it's better to read up on fixed point theorems to prove convergence.

Related to How can the endless square root problem be solved?

1. What is the "Endless Square Root Problem"?

The "Endless Square Root Problem" is a mathematical concept where the square root of a number is repeatedly taken, causing the result to become smaller and smaller, but never reaching exactly 0. This is because the square root of a positive number is always positive, and therefore can never reach 0.

2. How does the "Endless Square Root Problem" differ from the regular square root?

The "Endless Square Root Problem" differs from the regular square root in that it involves taking the square root of the previous result, instead of a fixed number. This causes the result to become infinitely smaller, whereas the regular square root has a finite solution.

3. What is the purpose of studying the "Endless Square Root Problem"?

The "Endless Square Root Problem" is often studied as a way to understand the concept of limits in mathematics. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of convergence, where a sequence of numbers approaches a certain value but never reaches it.

4. Is there a way to solve the "Endless Square Root Problem"?

No, the "Endless Square Root Problem" does not have a solution in the traditional sense. The result will continue to become smaller and smaller, but it will never reach exactly 0. However, mathematicians have found ways to approximate the solution using advanced techniques such as calculus.

5. Are there real-life applications for the "Endless Square Root Problem"?

While the "Endless Square Root Problem" may not have direct real-life applications, the concepts and techniques used to study it have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, making it a valuable concept to study for any aspiring scientist or mathematician.