How can the distance traveled by a particle experiencing a force be determined?

In summary: Correct. So can you now write down an equation relatics the initial kinetc energy and the final potential energy of the particle?The initial kinetic energy is equal to the final potential energy.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A particle P of mass m , which is on the negative x-axis. is moving towards the origin with a constant speed u. When P reaches the origin , it experiences the force F=-Kx^2, where K is a positive constant. How far does P get along the positive x-axis?

Homework Equations

.5*m*v^2+V(x)=E(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dt=[2*(E-V(x))]^.5

dV/dx=-F=Kx^2 ==> V=Kx^3/3

T0+V0=T1+V1

1/2*m*v^2+Kx^3/3=.5*m*u^2+0 since as the speed of particle increases V is zero. The problem with that explanation is, the speed is constant so the speed doesn't increase or decrease.

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed is constant until the particle reaches the origin, after which it accelerates (since there is a force acting on it).

Hootenanny said:
The speed is constant until the particle reaches the origin, after which it accelerates (since there is a force acting on it).

But my final KE is still a non-zero number and my final V is still zero right? Show I look at only the x-intervals when the particle passes the origin therefore setting my initial x-value to be at zero?

Benzoate said:
But my final KE is still a non-zero number and my final V is still zero right?
I don't understand this statement. If your final velocity is zero (as required by the question) then the final kinetic energy must be zero, be definition.

Hootenanny said:
I don't understand this statement. If your final velocity is zero (as required by the question) then the final kinetic energy must be zero, be definition.

But if my particle is going to accelerate once it passes the origin, then that means the velocity of particle increases and therefore my potential energy is zero.

Benzoate said:
But if my particle is going to accelerate once it passes the origin, then that means the velocity of particle increases and therefore my potential energy is zero.
An acceleration is simply a change in velocity, whether that change be an increase or decrease.

Hootenanny said:
An acceleration is simply a change in velocity, whether that change be an increase or decrease.

Should I count the time the speed of the particle is constant on the x-axis or should I just count the time the particle is only accelerating?

Otherwise I would used this equation to find out far the particle has travel:
dx/dt=[2*(E-V(x))]^.5

Would I used the conservation of energy to find the final kinetic energy which would be needed to find the total energy?

My only concern now is how would I calculate the time since I need to integrate dx/dt with respect to time to obtain the total position.

There is no need for any integration here. Simply write down an expression for conservation of energy.

Hootenanny said:
There is no need for any integration here. Simply write down an expression for conservation of energy.

Okay. T+V=E

T0+V0=T1+V1

T0=mu^2/2

V0=0

T1=m*v^2/2

V1=Kx^3/3

Benzoate said:
Okay. T+V=E

T0+V0=T1+V1

T0=mu^2/2

V0=0

T1=m*v^2/2

V1=Kx^3/3
Good. What can you say about T1 when the particle is at it's maximum displacement?

Hootenanny said:
Good. What can you say about T1 when the particle is at it's maximum displacement?

at maximum displacement, T1=0

Benzoate said:
at maximum displacement, T1=0
Correct. So can you now write down an equation relatics the initial kinetc energy and the final potential energy of the particle?

yes. Thanks.

Related to How can the distance traveled by a particle experiencing a force be determined?

1. What is energy conservation and why is it important?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing energy consumption in order to save resources and protect the environment. It is important because it helps to reduce carbon emissions and slow down the depletion of natural resources such as oil and gas.

2. What are some common energy conservation problems?

Some common energy conservation problems include inefficient energy use in buildings, transportation, and industrial processes. Other issues include lack of awareness and education about energy conservation, and resistance to change from individuals and industries.

3. How can individuals contribute to solving energy conservation problems?

Individuals can contribute to solving energy conservation problems by making small changes in their daily habits, such as turning off lights when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and reducing waste. They can also advocate for energy conservation policies and support renewable energy sources.

4. What role do governments and businesses play in energy conservation?

Governments and businesses play a crucial role in energy conservation by implementing policies and strategies to reduce energy consumption and promote renewable energy sources. They can also invest in energy-efficient technologies and practices to reduce their own energy use.

5. What are the potential benefits of solving energy conservation problems?

The potential benefits of solving energy conservation problems include reduced carbon emissions, slowed depletion of natural resources, cost savings for individuals and businesses, and a healthier environment for future generations. It can also create new job opportunities in the renewable energy sector and improve energy security for countries.