How can the current density and magnetic field affect Earth's total current?

In summary, the density of protons in the solar wind near Earth is 8.60 cm-3 and their speed is about 490 km/s. The current density of these protons is 6.74E-7 A/m^2. If Earth's magnetic field did not deflect the protons, the total current received by Earth would be the number of protons that reach the Earth's surface, which would be equal to the cross-section of the Earth. The exact surface area needed for this calculation is unclear, as it could refer to the spherical surface of the Earth or the cross-section where the protons hit.
juggalomike

Homework Statement

Near Earth, the density of protons in the solar wind (a stream of particles from the Sun) is 8.60 cm-3 and their speed is about 490 km/s.
(a) Find the current density of these protons.
6.74E-7 A/m^2
(b) If Earth's magnetic field did not deflect the protons, what total current would Earth receive?

Homework Equations

J=I/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation above i used J*A=I, the problem is the area is used for the Earth is apparently wrong(as i know my J is correct), so i looked online for it again and found 2 more answers(all the same numbers but to different powers of 10). Anyone know the actual surface area of the earth?(i would try plugging on all the ones i find but I am limited on attempts for this question and i already used 2/5 of my tries)

Physics news on Phys.org
All those protons will reach the Earth which are in the beam of cross-section equal to that of the Earth.

ehild

What surface area do you need, the sphere or crossection?

Lok said:
What surface area do you need, the sphere or crossection?

id assume surface, what is corssection?

juggalomike said:
id assume surface, what is corssection?

There is the surface of the earth, which is somewhat a sphere or it's crossssection or the surface the electrons hit, so the area of a circle with the radius of earth. Which one have you been looking for and which one do you need?

Related to How can the current density and magnetic field affect Earth's total current?

1. What is the total surface area of the earth?

The total surface area of the earth is approximately 510.1 million square kilometers.

2. How is the surface area of the earth calculated?

The surface area of the earth is calculated by using the formula for the surface area of a sphere, which is 4πr², where r is the radius of the earth.

3. Is the surface area of the earth constantly changing?

Yes, the surface area of the earth is constantly changing due to natural processes such as erosion and plate tectonics.

4. What is the difference between land surface area and water surface area?

The land surface area of the earth is approximately 148.9 million square kilometers, while the water surface area is approximately 361.1 million square kilometers.

5. How does the surface area of the earth compare to other planets in our solar system?

The surface area of the earth is the fifth largest among all the planets in our solar system, with only Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus having a larger surface area.