How can the convexity of a disk be proved using linear algebra?

• MHB
  • Thread starter rputra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary: You have been very helpful.In summary, the conversation discusses proving the convexity of a set defined by a quadratic inequality and the use of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in the proof. The summary also addresses a typo in the vector form of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and clarifies that the left-hand side does not necessarily have to be positive for the proof to be valid.
rputra
I am working on a linear algebra problem like this:

> Consider the set of all points $(x,y) \in \mathbb R^2$ as defined by $x^2 + y^2 \leq 25$. Prove that $x^2 + y^2 \leq 25$ is convex.

Here is what I have made out so far:

(1) $x^2 + y^2 \leq 25$ is a disk with center at the origin of Cartesian coordinate with radius of $5$. Consider two points in the disk as defined by $P(a,b)$ and $Q(c,d)$. Consider also point $R(e,f)$ which lays in the segment line $\overline {PQ}$.

(2) By way of contradiction, we will assume that $R(e,f)$ lays outside of the disk. Hence, while we have $a^2+b^2 \leq$ 25 and $c^2+d^2 \leq 25$, we assume that $e^2+f^2 > 25$.

(3) Since $R(e,f)$ lays in the line segment $\overline {PQ}$, there exist $t_1 \geq 0$, and $t_2 \geq 0$, with $t_1 + t_2 = 1$, such that
$$\begin{align}
(e, f) &= t_1(a,b) + t_2(c,d)\\
&= at_1 + ct_2, bt_1 + dt_2.
\end{align}$$

After the third step, I believe that I need to algebraically manipulate $(at_1 + ct_2)^2 + (bt_1 + dt_2)^2$ such that $(at_1 + ct_2)^2 + (bt_1 + dt_2)^2 > 25$ is impossible. However, I am stuck on how to contradict my own assumption. Do I have to use the Triangle Inequality instead? Any helps or suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thank you before hand for your time and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tarrant,

To show that your set (which I'll call $\Omega$) is convex, prove that given $\lambda\in [0,1]$, $(x,y),(a,b)\in \Omega$, we have $\lambda(x,y) + (1 - \lambda)(a,b)\in \Omega$, i.e., $(\lambda x + (1 - \lambda)a, \lambda y + (1 - \lambda) b) \in \Omega$. Obtain the identity

$$[\lambda x + (1 - \lambda)a]^2 + [\lambda y + (1 - \lambda)b]^2 = \lambda^2(x^2 + y^2) + 2\lambda(1 - \lambda)(xa + yb) + (1 - \lambda)^2(a^2 + b^2)$$

Since $x^2 + y^2 \le 25$ and $a^2 + b^2 \le 25$, then $\lambda^2(x^2 + y^2) \le 25\lambda^2$ and $(1 - \lambda)^2(a^2 + b^2) \le 25(1 - \lambda)^2$. Now, by the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, $xa + yb \le \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}\cdot \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \le 5 \cdot 5 = 25$. Therefore $2\lambda(1 - \lambda)(xa + yb) \le 25 \cdot 2\lambda(1-\lambda)$. Consequently,

$$\lambda^2(x^2 + y^2) + 2\lambda(1 - \lambda)(xa + yb) + (1 - \lambda)^2(a^2 + b^2) \le 25\lambda^2 + 25\cdot 2\lambda(1-\lambda) + (1 - \lambda)^2 = 25[\lambda^2 + 2\lambda(1 - \lambda) + (1 - \lambda)^2] = 25[\lambda + (1 - \lambda)]^2 = 25$$

This proves $[\lambda x + (1 - \lambda)a]^2 + [\lambda y + (1 - \lambda)b]^2 \le 25$, as desired.

Euge said:
Hi Tarrant,

To show that your set (which I'll call $\Omega$) is convex, prove that given $\lambda\in [0,1]$, $(x,y),(a,b)\in \Omega$, we have $\lambda(x,y) + (1 - \lambda)(a,b)\in \Omega$, i.e., $(\lambda x + (1 - \lambda)a, \lambda y + (1 - \lambda) b) \in \Omega$. Obtain the identity

$$[\lambda x + (1 - \lambda)a]^2 + [\lambda y + (1 - \lambda)b]^2 = \lambda^2(x^2 + y^2) + 2\lambda(1 - \lambda)(xa + yb) + (1 - \lambda)^2(a^2 + b^2)$$

Since $x^2 + y^2 \le 25$ and $a^2 + b^2 \le 25$, then $\lambda^2(x^2 + y^2) \le 25\lambda^2$ and $(1 - \lambda)^2(a^2 + b^2) \le 25(1 - \lambda)^2$. Now, by the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, $xa + yb \le \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}\cdot \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \le 5 \cdot 5 = 25$. Therefore $2\lambda(1 - \lambda)(xa + yb) \le 25 \cdot 2\lambda(1-\lambda)$. Consequently,

$$\lambda^2(x^2 + y^2) + 2\lambda(1 - \lambda)(xa + yb) + (1 - \lambda)^2(a^2 + b^2) \le 25\lambda^2 + 25\cdot 2\lambda(1-\lambda) + (1 - \lambda)^2 = 25[\lambda^2 + 2\lambda(1 - \lambda) + (1 - \lambda)^2] = 25[\lambda + (1 - \lambda)]^2 = 25$$

This proves $[\lambda x + (1 - \lambda)a]^2 + [\lambda y + (1 - \lambda)b]^2 \le 25$, as desired.

Thank you for your quick response, and apology for not responding fast enough. I have one question though about the Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality:

(1) According to Wolfram MathWorld, the vector form of the inequality looks like this:
$$||\mathbf a \cdot \mathbf b|| \leq ||\mathbf a|| \ ||\mathbf b||,$$
see its link here: Cauchy's Inequality -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Don't you think the left-hand side should be absolute sign instead, so that it goes like this:
$$|\mathbf a \cdot \mathbf b| \leq ||\mathbf a|| \ ||\mathbf b||,$$
simply because the result of a dot product is already scalar?

(2) If my observation is true, do you think you have to make sure that the left-hand side is always positive in order for your proof to be valid? Please let me know.

Thank you again and again for your quick response.

Tarrant said:
Thank you for your quick response, and apology for not responding fast enough. I have one question though about the Cauchy-Schwartz Inequality:

(1) According to Wolfram MathWorld, the vector form of the inequality looks like this:
$$||\mathbf a \cdot \mathbf b|| \leq ||\mathbf a|| \ ||\mathbf b||,$$
see its link here: Cauchy's Inequality -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Don't you think the left-hand side should be absolute sign instead, so that it goes like this:
$$|\mathbf a \cdot \mathbf b| \leq ||\mathbf a|| \ ||\mathbf b||,$$
simply because the result of a dot product is already scalar?

Yes, you're right. The author made a typo there.

Tarrant said:
(2) If my observation is true, do you think you have to make sure that the left-hand side is always positive in order for your proof to be valid? Please let me know.

No. For all real numbers $t$, $t\le \lvert t\rvert$. So $xa + yb \le \lvert xa + yb\rvert \le \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}$. Since $2\lambda(1 - \lambda)$ is a nonnegative number, then $2\lambda(1 - \lambda)(xa + yb) \le 2\lambda(1-\lambda)\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}$.

Thank you again and again.

Related to How can the convexity of a disk be proved using linear algebra?

1. What is a convex disk?

A convex disk is a two-dimensional shape that is circular in nature and has a curved boundary. It is characterized by having all points on its circumference lying on the same side when viewed from any point within the disk.

2. How can I prove that a disk is convex?

To prove that a disk is convex, you can use the definition of convexity which states that for any two points within the shape, the line segment connecting them must also lie within the shape. In the case of a disk, this means that any chord drawn between two points on the circumference must be contained within the disk.

3. Can a disk be non-convex?

No, a disk by definition is a convex shape. If a disk were to have any points on its circumference that lie on different sides when viewed from a point within the disk, it would no longer be a disk but rather a different type of shape, such as a crescent or a ring.

4. What are some real-life examples of convex disks?

Examples of convex disks can be found in many everyday objects, such as coins, plates, and wheels. These objects all have a circular shape and a curved boundary, making them convex disks.

5. How is proving the convexity of a disk important in mathematics and science?

Understanding the properties of convex disks is important in various fields of mathematics and science. In geometry, it helps in the classification and study of different shapes. In physics, the concept of convexity is used in optics to describe the shape of a lens. It is also used in computer science for algorithms that deal with convex shapes. Additionally, the concept of convexity is applicable in optimization problems in economics, engineering, and other fields.