How Can R_{00} Be Expressed Using Initial Data in General Relativity?

• Thread starter PhyPsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Initial
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that R_{00}= -\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\alpha\beta,00}+ M_{00}, where M can be expressed solely in terms of the initial data, which is the metric tensor and its first derivatives. The equations used are R_{ab}= R^c_{acb}= \Gamma^a_{bd,c}- \Gamma^a_{bc,d} in geodesic coordinates and \Gamma^a_{bc}= \frac{1}{2}g^{ad}(g_{dc,b}+ g_{db,c}- g_{bc,d}). The attempt at a solution involves splitting terms and defining M_{00
PhyPsy

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]R_{00}= -\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\alpha\beta,00}+ M_{00}[/itex], where M can be expressed solely in terms of the initial data, which is the metric tensor and its first derivatives.

Homework Equations

[itex]R_{ab}= R^c_{acb}= \Gamma^a_{bd,c}- \Gamma^a_{bc,d}[/itex] in geodesic coordinates
[itex]\Gamma^a_{bc}= \frac{1}{2}g^{ad}(g_{dc,b}+ g_{db,c}- g_{bc,d})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]R_{00}= R^a_{0a0}= \Gamma^a_{00,a}- \Gamma^a_{0a,0}[/itex]
[itex]R_{00}= (g_{b0,0}- \frac{1}{2}g_{00,b})g^{ab}_{,a}+ g^{ab}g_{b0,a0}- \frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g_{00,ab}- \frac{1}{2}(g_{ba,0}+ g_{b0,a}- g_0a,b)g^{ab}_{,0}- \frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g_{ba,00}- \frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g_{b0,0a}+ \frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g_{0a,0b}[/itex]
a and b are summations from 0 to 3, while [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are summations for space coordinates, so they are 1 to 3. Since the one second-derivative term in the expression I am trying to reach is summed over the space coordinates, I need to split one of the terms above. I split [itex]-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g_{ba,00}= -\frac{1}{2}(g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\beta\alpha,00}+ g^{a0}g_{0a,00}+ g^{0\beta}g_{\beta0,00})[/itex].
So I define [itex]M_{00}= (g_{b0,0}- \frac{1}{2}g_{00,b})g^{ab}_{,a}- \frac{1}{2}(g_{ba,0}+ g_{b0,a}- g_0a,b)g^{ab}_{,0}[/itex], as all the rest of the terms have second derivatives of the metric tensor, which are not in the initial data.
[itex]R_{00}= -\frac{1}{2}(g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\beta\alpha,00}+ g^{a0}g_{0a,00}+ g^{0\beta}g_{\beta0,00}- g^{ab}g_{b0,a0}+ g^{ab}g_{00,ab}- g^{ab}g_{0a,0b})+ M_{00}[/itex]
So now I have to show that [itex]-\frac{1}{2}(g^{a0}g_{0a,00}+ g^{0\beta}g_{\beta0,00}- g^{ab}g_{b0,a0}+ g^{ab}g_{00,ab}- g^{ab}g_{0a,0b})=0[/itex]
I have simplified those five terms down to three: [itex]\frac{1}{2}(g^{a\beta}g_{0a,0\beta}- g^{a\beta}g_{00,a\beta}+ g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\beta0,\alpha0})[/itex]
I do not know how to simplify that any further. Can someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've got it simplified to [itex]R_{00}= -\frac{1}{2}(g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\beta\alpha,00}- g^{\alpha\beta}g_{0\alpha,0\beta}+ g^{\alpha\beta}g_{00,\alpha\beta}- g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\beta0,\alpha0})+ M_{00}[/itex], but I still have not figured out what to do about those three extra terms. Will anybody help, please?

Related to How Can R_{00} Be Expressed Using Initial Data in General Relativity?

What is initial data in a Cauchy problem?

Initial data in a Cauchy problem refers to the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific initial time. These values act as the starting point for solving the differential equation that represents the problem.

Why is initial data important in a Cauchy problem?

Initial data is important in a Cauchy problem because it provides the necessary information to solve the problem and obtain a unique solution. Without the initial data, the problem would have infinite possible solutions.

What is the Cauchy problem in mathematics?

The Cauchy problem is a type of initial value problem in mathematics that involves finding a solution to a differential equation given a set of initial data. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

What are some common techniques used to solve Cauchy problems?

Some common techniques used to solve Cauchy problems include the method of separation of variables, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the variation of parameters method. Other techniques, such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods, can also be used.

What are the applications of Cauchy problems in science and engineering?

Cauchy problems have a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including modeling physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and population growth. They are also used in control theory, signal processing, and many other fields.