How can potential energy be negative?

In summary: This is a minimum requirement for a stable system.In summary, potential energy can be negative if a reference point is set at a location below the ground level, or at a large distance from the object. This is because potential energy is always relative to a reference point, and it can be positive or negative depending on the location of the reference point.
LoganNagol
In my physics class I was told that potential energy can be negative because it relative, but i thought as long as something has room to fall it has a positive amount of potential energy. So how can potential energy be negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
LoganNagol said:
In my physics class I was told that potential energy can be negative because it relative, but i thought as long as something has room to fall it has a positive amount of potential energy. So how can potential energy be negative?

Hi LoganNagol! Welcome to PF! :oldsmile:

We are free to set a reference point.
Usually we set a reference point for potential energy at ground level.
Consequently, the potential energy is typically ##mgh##, where ##h## is the height above ground level.
This works just fine as long as we stay above ground level.
But of course we can get below ground level, giving us a negative potential energy.
This doesn't mean that the total energy is negative, since that is not possible.
It only means that the potential energy, as we defined it, becomes negative.

Likes LoganNagol
LoganNagol said:
Potential is always referred to some location.
Using the definition of Potential as the Work Done to take a unit mass from the reference point gives you a negative amount of work to do, bringing your mass in from a reference location at infinity but a positive value if your reference point is at the bottom of a hill.
The only location that is the same for everyone on Earth, The Solar System or the Galaxy is a location that's an infinite distance away. Taking that definition of Potential gives a conveniently consistant answer.
This is just one of the many occasions where you have to choose a sign at the beginning of your calculations and maintain consistency right up until the answer. IF you do that then the numbers take care of themselves and you get the right answer.

Likes LoganNagol
Note that if we use Sophie's reference point of infinity as zero and note that gravity only attracts, then gravitational potential energy would always be negative. We are always in a gravitational hole. You always have to climb out to get to infinity. Maybe negative potential should surprise you less than positive!

I think the English word "potential" is what sets people's expectations. For positive potential it makes perfect sense. You have the "potential" to do some work with this energy. However it is kind of the wrong word when it is negative. Perhaps it should be called "relative configurational energy". Then the idea that it is relative to some reference configuration is explicit and there is no linguistic bias on the sign. It may take work to get to the reference configuration, or it may give work. On the other hand, what a horrible mouthful. You can't even pronounce it as an acronym.

Likes Electron Spin and LoganNagol
If you have a repulsive field - e.g. + and + charges, the Potential Energy, by the above definition, is always greater than zero.

Likes LoganNagol

Related to How can potential energy be negative?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

2. How can potential energy be negative?

In physics, potential energy can be negative when it is measured relative to a reference point or zero point. This means that the object has less potential energy than it would at the reference point.

3. What factors can cause potential energy to be negative?

The main factor that can cause potential energy to be negative is the choice of reference point. For example, if the reference point is set at ground level, an object above ground level will have positive potential energy, while an object below ground level will have negative potential energy.

4. Can negative potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, negative potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, if an object with negative potential energy is released, it will gain kinetic energy as it falls towards the reference point. This conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy is what causes objects to move.

5. How is the concept of negative potential energy used in practical applications?

Negative potential energy is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of roller coasters and water slides. These rides often utilize negative potential energy to create thrilling drops and slides for riders. Negative potential energy is also used in the field of physics to explain the behavior of objects in different systems and scenarios.